Update on Minnesota 1966 Resto Project

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
mmclakeville

Update on Minnesota 1966 Resto Project

Post by mmclakeville »

Just wanted to post an update on the 1966 Bug restoration project I started last year. Want to stay active on the board so wanted to provide an update.

I inherited this 1966 bug from a relative in Lethbridge Alberta Canada and towed it back to Minnesota last year. Since then I have removed the engine, purchased a rebuilt 12volt transaxle so I can convert to 12 volt. Have purchased a new gas tank - original still had a half tank of gas from 1985 when it was last registered and run. Today ordered the brake conversion kit to go from drums to disk brakes. Have new bearings and shocks and other things. So now ready to update the rear axle and then will move to front. I have lined up where I will purchase my motor from.
Retaining the original transaxle and motor in case later it is desired when and if I sell the bug in the future. Decided to hold off on painting and doing upholstery work until later.

I also inherited from same farm a 1950 Maple leaf 3 ton truck. In us it is GMC equivalent in those times. Equally in as good a shape - very complete but of course it has been parked since 1998.

Between the two vehicles I have plenty to do. GRIN.

Once I can get the bug back on ground and rolling I will post some pictures.

Mark