Compatibility

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

DUB10W

Compatibility

Post by DUB10W »

Hi. New to this forum and a proud new 66 beetle owner. I have two questions to start. Firstly i have been offered a 64 beetle. will the parts be compatible with my 66? And secondly i am looking into fitting air suspension of some form. has anyone had any experiences with this type of thing?

Regards Ewan (DUB.10W)
The Grounds' The Limit
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Dub10W and welcome to the forum! Many of the 64 parts will be compatible with the 66. To see the changes to the 66 model year you can go to the main site and click on "1966 model Year Changes" and see what is different (and won't work). I can't help you on the air suspension part but someone else may have had some experience. Once again Welcome and good luck with the project!
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Welcome to the forum. :?: I don't know why one would want to change the suspension on something that has full independent four wheel suspension unless your going to pull a small trailor and require air shocks. I like my torsion springs.Just my opinion thou! :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
DUB10W

Post by DUB10W »

thank you john, i think i will take that 64 even if only for a few interior parts that i am missing. Thanks again.

the benifits, for me, of having air suspension is to be able to adjust the ride height to suit me. "slammed" for parking and faiground or carpark showings or "optimum" pressure for highway cruising. i wont be DUB LOW being stock height.

since my post i have spoken to a few customs shops and they suggest that airbags and airscylinders will not fit into a beetle with out major modifications. airshocks are what they are recomending to me. is anyone familiar with these?

regards.
The Grounds' The Limit
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Dub10W: There's a great book out there that details the changes by year - it's called "VW Beetle - a Comprehensive Illustrated History of the worlds most popular car" by Keith Sueme. If you really want to know what is different by year this is a good book. The last section shows changes to mirrors, tail lights, etc....
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I had a set on my 62 fairlane back in the early 70's.You can jack the rearend right up thereI liked them until I moved up north.the first winter they lost pressure due to the cold air and they ruptured. They were pretty low tech back then.now I believe they can be fitted with a onboard compressor and a pressure indicator you can fit on the dash and if you need air hit the switch.simalar to air bags on most semi's and motorhomes. :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
DUB10W

Post by DUB10W »

they are extremely high tech now. after doing a little research i picked up a kit, excluding brackets which will need to be fabricated, for AUD$2900. this inclues shockwave shocks, airlines, valve, tank, compressor, wiring, electronic switch box, guages. this kit set up properly will allow my bug to lay out with sills almost on the ground, also give me complete independent control over each corner.

Regards Ewan.
The Grounds' The Limit
Dub Owner 1966

Post by Dub Owner 1966 »

keep you bug stock. you have a LOT of one year only parts. BTW will you sell any parts off this 64?
1966 bug currently being restored
My super beetle is emberising.

66 bug parts needed
DUB10W

Post by DUB10W »

hi again! since my last posting i have found out alot about my particular model and vw set ups in general. it seems that my bug, however rego'd and complied as a 66, is a 65 build. is this a common thing? the main giveaway for me should have been quite obvious. it does not have ball joint front end but link/king pin also it has no air vent in the dash.

since posting on here i have found a large amount of infomation about air suspension setups thanks to KCW and Hoodride.

right now i have my bug stripped down to its pan and am working on a complete rebuild.

i will sell bits im not needing off my 64. what u need?

regards
The Grounds' The Limit