fan housing

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

justbuggin91

fan housing

Post by justbuggin91 »

What is the easy way to replace the fan housing? I would rather not pull the motor out unless I really have to.
Thanks
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Justbuggin91: Hate to say it but I'm afraid that is your only option, but think of all the great stuff you can check on when the engine is out :wink:
justbuggin91

Post by justbuggin91 »

ok thank you for the help.
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

I've had to take mine out before and I pulled the engine - didn't appear like there was any other way to do it - Sorry!
Phil
San Antonio
Dub Owner 1966

Post by Dub Owner 1966 »

if you pull your motor you might as well repaint the tin. if you do that you might as well replace alll the gaskets. if you do that you might as well give it a ring job. if you do that you might as well rebuild the engine. it will save alot of time and mabey money and posibly an engine. you know how right?
1966 bug currently being restored
My super beetle is emberising.

66 bug parts needed
Kbarnes

Post by Kbarnes »

I have found a way to remove the fan housing on mine without pulling the engine and have done so 2 or 3 times. If you take the hood off and take the front 2 bolts out of the hood hinges on each side and loosen the back bolt and then turn the hinges towards the outside of the car that gives you just enough clearence to raise the fan housing up high enough that you can slip it off the oil cooler while pulling it towards the rear of the car to get it out of the engine compartment. Of course the thermostat, throttle cable, carb, wiring, etc. have already been taken off before you start.