What should I do?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Roadbug

What should I do?

Post by Roadbug »

I had a guy say to me "I've got one just like that one you are driving. He said that his mother bought new".
Well I thought this could be something so I continued the conversation.
He did have one. Not running and parked for years with the air cleaner off and the back seat out. But the windows were up and there was a full floor in it. Surface rust on the floor, yes, but no daylight! No rust out on the outer body and the inner looked good too. It had good bumpers, solid door posts and house paint over the original Pearl Wiess.
It was mildewed and nasty, but a solid little car in need of a total restoration. Oh yes, 58,000 miles which he claimed was not 158,000.
I really don't need another project, but for $1000, should I buy it and resell it?
Your thoughts?[/
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

A grand in Florida for a more or less rust free project? You could certainly do a LOT worse. If the paint's in decent shape, a weekend with some oven cleaner will get the house paint off, some work go clear the surface scabs and get it running and you have another runner for a song.

Is the engine locked up? Is the title clean? Might be worth throwing the dice over.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'm in Tampa. If you don't buy it I'm interested. If I get it I'll provide a reward in parts/finder's fee.
Roadbug

another 66

Post by Roadbug »

Actually it's in NC, but I'm here with a trailer, so I may have another look. It will have to have a good title and all the parts to make it worth the trouble. Sometimes a second look is clearer vision.
paul
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

I would do the same thing here in NC, I live near Raleigh ,what city is it in ?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

No, you can't have it! You would turn it into some crazy 400hp monster. :D
dragvw2180

Post by dragvw2180 »

hahhahaahha I might suprise you and restore it , especially if it only has that low of mileage. We have a 62 that is in the process of restoration right now. The body was perfect and completely original inside and out. I found it last year during the time my wife had a heart attack and did not have the money to buy it so I put my best friend on it for his wife. Mike
Roadbug

66 Beetle

Post by Roadbug »

I went back to Franklin NC to see the 66 VW again and proved the old adage, "buy it when you find it". It was gone.
I really didn't need another project, but I'm always looking.