Louisville 66 Beetle

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

The last month has been pretty busy. Vacations and work has taken up most of our time. We have gotten several things on the Beetle done. We installed the front, rear and quarter glass. Finished the carpet. Got the window crank handles and door handles put in.

It's starting to come together. In the next week or so I will get the car over to the alignment shop. We have been talking about how bad the after market front fenders are and have come to the conclusion they need to be replaced. Mounting holes are off by an inch and the fit a finish is really bad. Looking for a good german set of front fenders.
Blue Baron wrote:For fear of getting upended, you do realize '66 had a black steering wheel and turn signal array?
Blue Baron, you are correct that is not original. This car is not perfect. We are going for what we want on the car and staying close to original. Call it a little personal touch. Or call us butchers if you like. Purists will not like this car.

Here are a few photos.

jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

beautiful work!
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

I love it, looks fantastic! Very, Very nice.
1966 Full Custom Restoration- Made it My Way!- Not for the Purists. http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=904
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Slow progress these last few weeks. Still trying to find two German fenders.
Re-manufacture example we have or have tried are to low quality. Fenders,
electrical system check, and bumpers and we will be on the road.
Speedmster

Stalled out on progress, but back at it again.

Post by Speedmster »

We stalled out for the last 6 months working on the Beetle, but today we picked up and are back at it. Going to start checking the electrical system today. It was installed a long time ago by the folks dad had rebuilding the car. Need to make sure everything is up to par.

We still have not found any fenders. For now we will go with what we have, but my OCD doesn't like.

Next weekend we are going to start double checking the fuel system and hopefully fire the engine for the first time since the rebuild.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Last Sunday we started checking the wiring and several differences from the 66' wiring harness to what is in the car started showing up. After researching a little it looks like a 67' wiring harness was installed. Can't confirm that yet, but lots of 12v equipment on the car. Windshield wiper motor (2 speed), 67' flasher relay, and the dimmer switch looked like it was a type 3 relay (???). The engine also looks like it is set up as a 67MY. Will be checking to make sure the starter, generator, and all bulbs are 12v before giving power to them.

More to follow tomorrow.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Had a big day yesterday with the Beetle! We got it running for the first time in 12 years. Very excited! After rebuilding the carb and cleaning out the old fuel lines the engine fired up on the first try. Had some taillight and brake light issues but were sorted out pretty quickly. Chick on the photos for video.

Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

The issue with the gap between the steering wheel and the turn-signal, I have just the opposite issue. The one in my '66 is a hair too tight. When I activate the turn-signal the steering wheel drags on it and will not allow the self-cancelling turn signal to shut off.

You do know that the rear-view mirror you have mounted is not for a '66 don't you?

Beautiful car and great job on the restoration.
darzoom

Post by darzoom »

Which mirror?
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

darzoom wrote:Which mirror?
Sorry about that. I was referring to the rear-view mirror inside the car. I've always called the other ones side-view mirrors. At least I'm pretty sure it's not correct. It looks small to me. 1966 got a larger rear view mirror.

You got me to thinking now. I may be the one with the wrong rear-view mirror.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Bug-Eyed wrote:The issue with the gap between the steering wheel and the turn-signal, I have just the opposite issue. The one in my '66 is a hair too tight. When I activate the turn-signal the steering wheel drags on it and will not allow the self-cancelling turn signal to shut off.

You do know that the rear-view mirror you have mounted is not for a '66 don't you?

Beautiful car and great job on the restoration.
The gap is easy to fix after I heard from someone on this forum that is is only a set screw on the turn signal stock I needed to loosen an adjust the stock up or down the steer column, then tighten the set screw back up. Worked perfect!

That is the correct rearview mirror. Not the correct roof, but we are way to far down the road to correct that.

We are very excited to have the car running again. I could tell dad was going back in time a little when he drove it last weekend. I ordered bumpers with overriders this past Monday. Going to see about cleaning up the wheels and getting the new hubcaps on this weekend. This coming week I will work on getting it registered for the road again. Hasn't been registered since 1990's when it was wrecked.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Last weekend we got the new bumpers in. Did a test install to make sure all the brackets fit correctly before sandblasting the brackets and painting. Rear bumper had some shipping rash. Wolfsburg West is sending some new bumper guards.

Taillights are giving us fits. With the headlights turned on the running lights do not come on in the back. Turn signals and brake lights work fine. We think it's a wiring issue. More to follow this weekend.

Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Ok, last weekend we got the bumpers on. Starting to see the finish line nearing. Last three things are registration, radio, and windshield wipers.

Here are some photos.

Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

It's great to have this car back on the road. We still have several things to do on it, but it is street legal and rolling down the road.

I was driving home from work the other day and the speedometer started making a god awful noise. Had to stop and disconnect the speedometer cable. That stopped the noise. It was like a 13 year old school girl at here first horror movie. Scared the crap out of me too. I will pull the speedometer today and get it lubed up.

The correct windshield wiper arms came in today and will be finishing up the wiper system this weekend.

For a week or so I had a problem with the headlights not working. It ended up being a bad headlight switch and incorrect dimmer relay. It helped me to learn a few things about the wiring system and chasing down electrical problems. Several folks on this forum helped me with tracking down the problem.

There are a couple of small oil leaks. Remember the engine was rebuilt in 2004 and was turned over about ever month, but was not started. With 10 years of not being started we expected this and will be working to shore those up.

I'm interested on going on a drive with our local VW Club next weekend to the Maker's Mark distillery. That should be fun. I'll post some photos from that first drive.