Louisville 66 Beetle

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

rcs_80 wrote:
Speedmster wrote:
rcs_80 wrote:That sucks, that overspray in the interior was pretty careless. How do you like the Dynamat so far? I'm thinking about putting the same in my 66.
Your car's looking great.
So far so good. It was pretty easy to work with when we installed it. Haven't gotten it on the road yet to hear the real results. One thing I like about it is that it is not thick and won't eat up space behind upholstery. Only thing about Dynamat is the price, it's high. I have talked to several folks in the street rod community a while back and quite a few were pushing an equivalent product but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. When I get back home I will get the name for you. Might be a little easier on the pocket book with same results. We opted to go with Dynamat.
Ok, cool. Yes please let me know. Thanks!
rcs_80 sorry I didn't get back to you when I got home the last week. I do not have the name saved on my computer. I take my Beetle back to the upholstery guy today. He is big into the rod and muscle car scene. He is one of folks that suggested this other brand.
rcs_80

Post by rcs_80 »

No worries. Thank you for looking into it for me.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Got the Beetle back from the upholstery shop. Looks pretty good. Now we
can start working on the interior. When you look at the headliner you will see
something that doesn't look right. You would be correct! The main panel of
the headliner is for a 68' Beetle as the roof is from a 68' Beetle. We tried to
integrate the 66' headliner, but it was 2" to short. This past Sunday I worked
on replacing the carpet on the back of the seat and started working on some
wiring double-checks. Basically just making sure all my wiring is correct.

Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Speedmster wrote:
rcs_80 wrote:
Speedmster wrote: So far so good. It was pretty easy to work with when we installed it. Haven't gotten it on the road yet to hear the real results. One thing I like about it is that it is not thick and won't eat up space behind upholstery. Only thing about Dynamat is the price, it's high. I have talked to several folks in the street rod community a while back and quite a few were pushing an equivalent product but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. When I get back home I will get the name for you. Might be a little easier on the pocket book with same results. We opted to go with Dynamat.
Ok, cool. Yes please let me know. Thanks!
rcs_80 sorry I didn't get back to you when I got home the last week. I do not have the name saved on my computer. I take my Beetle back to the upholstery guy today. He is big into the rod and muscle car scene. He is one of folks that suggested this other brand.
rcs_80, sorry it took so long, but my friend I work with likes Lizard Skin the most. It's a spray in sound deadener. I have heard several street rod folks talk good things about it. There is also Hashmat, but it's not that much cheaper than Dynamat. One of the younger guys into stereo stuff uses Fatmat.com, but that only seems to be focused on sound deadening only. Fatmat is much cheaper. I only have experience with the Dynamat, and have not really seen the complete results since I haven't drien the car yet with it installed.

Clint
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Last several weeks has gone by so fast. Where did January and February go? We did get a few things done on the Beetle. The front trunk latch wasn't releasing very good, so we did some adjusting there. I ran the wiring for the interior dome light and door switches. Put new carpet on the back of the rear seat and started working on installing carpet a few weeks ago. Yesterday we installed the carpet in the cargo area, installed rear seat belts, the rear seat. Looks pretty sharp.

Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Got several things done yesterday on the Beetle. Installed the sun visors, new steering wheel, and some more carpet. Tried to get the front and rear glass ready for when dad was back in town next week to install, but just getting the rubber on the glass seems to be a two person job also.

Only thing I got stuck on is the steering wheel. There is a gap between the base of steering wheel and the turn signal switch. Any ideas?

hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

Speedmster wrote:Only thing I got stuck on is the steering wheel. There is a gap between the base of steering wheel and the turn signal switch. Any ideas?
I haven't had the steering wheel off my bug. But on a later bus that I have, the signal ring would adjust up and down on the steering colunm and hold itself with screw that tightens a band. VW used this to set the gap for the horn ring that touched between the two.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

hercdriver wrote:
Speedmster wrote:Only thing I got stuck on is the steering wheel. There is a gap between the base of steering wheel and the turn signal switch. Any ideas?
I haven't had the steering wheel off my bug. But on a later bus that I have, the signal ring would adjust up and down on the steering colunm and hold itself with screw that tightens a band. VW used this to set the gap for the horn ring that touched between the two.
I'll give it a look today while I'm over at the garage. Had our drill weekend going on the last couple of days and haven't been able to go over and do anything on the Beetle. I saw the screw you are talking about hercdriver. Thanks for the info.
1966veedub

Post by 1966veedub »

Looking good!
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

Speedmster wrote:
hercdriver wrote:
Speedmster wrote:Only thing
I got stuck on is the steering wheel. There is a gap between the base of
steering wheel and the turn signal switch. Any ideas?

I haven't had the steering wheel off my bug. But on a later bus that I have,
the signal ring would adjust up and down on the steering colunm and hold
itself with screw that tightens a band. VW used this to set the gap for the
horn ring that touched between the two.

I'll give it a look today while I'm over at the garage. Had our drill weekend
going on the last couple of days and haven't been able to go over and do
anything on the Beetle. I saw the screw you are talking about hercdriver.
Thanks for the info.
hercdriver, you were right. Once I loosened the screw I was able to move
the signal ring up and down the column. That closed the gap. The body shop
folks again short changed us. We will have to do some painting.

Installed carpet some more carpet last Sunday. Dad was in town so we
tackled the installing the front and rear window rubber on the windows. Also
removed the running boards. The running boards were not installed
correctly. The bolts and mounting points were bent. with the running boards
off we are also taking a better look at fender alignment.
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

Any new progress to report? Looking good!
1966 Full Custom Restoration- Made it My Way!- Not for the Purists. http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=904
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

agggilli wrote:Any new progress to report? Looking good!
aggilli, We have gotten several things done on the car over the last month. I will post some photos later this week.
Speedmster

Post by Speedmster »

agggilli wrote:Any new progress to report? Looking good!
aggilli, We have gotten several things done on the car over the last month. I will post some photos later this week. Had to get my phone replaced and all my photos got lost in the shuffle.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

For fear of getting upended, you do realize '66 had a black steering wheel and turn signal array?
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

Blue Baron wrote:For fear of getting upended, you do realize '66 had a black steering wheel and turn signal array?
Yes, but the Ivory looks SO much better. I love that steering wheel and switch, and I think it will really make the interior look great.
1966 Full Custom Restoration- Made it My Way!- Not for the Purists. http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=904