Dynamo issues!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Sgt-Mike-Larry

Dynamo issues!

Post by Sgt-Mike-Larry »

Hi guys,

Recently had my old dynamo wear out as it was no longer charging up my battery, it had ceased out-putting any energy what so ever. So my Dad picked me up a second hand one from a local VW repair man as his reconditioned ones looked a little... On the Iffy side. With much huffing and puffing we finally got the new (secondhand) dynamo fitted and running brilliantly. We cleaned the carby out with some cleaner I then took it for a drive it ran like new!

I started to drove off on my 45min treck home and I started to smell some burning, I pulled over instantly fire extinguisher at the ready, nothing! It smelt a little of carby cleaner and hot engine, Nothing really seemed out of place or out of the ordinary. Everything seemed like it was running nicely minus the smell.... So off I went again, Getting about 5 minutes from my previous stopping point I began to get worried the smell seemed to come back yet this time it was very strong, I was about to pull over again when my red light came on... followed by the vehicle stalling on the corner as I coasted to a stop Fire extinguisher ready once more expecting flames this time, Popped the hood and my Dynamo was smoking I also noticed that the mark we had made on the Fan belt pully had moved indicating there had been some movement somewhere along the line. After we towed my poor little Bug home and pushed it into the shed Dad tried to crack it over... everything turned but little thing wouldnt start, Im hoping that I havent killed the little bugger!

I guess the question im putting forward after would be What on earth is happening with my little bug? Im assuming im going to have to replace the dynamo again as the smoke and smell was horrible...probably carcinogenic knowing yester year equipment. However Im a little worried ive done more damage than just the Dynamo... ( having said that I havent been home in a few days to double check on it and have a tinker)

I have gone through various Service manuals and what not still have no idea what has happened I know im not the greatest mekboy, Im learning as I go with this little bug and love its simplistic nature.
Sgt-Mike-Larry

Post by Sgt-Mike-Larry »

Went back last night to have a little look at the car see if it would A. Turn over and B. look at it in day light. Car started and ran, then would not start a second time from the looks of the Coil and dynamo I believe my parts man has given me a 6V coil to power a 12v system, also the copper wiring and protective paper within the dynamo seems to have come loose and been spinning around within the dynamo... Looks like another Dynamo change for me and a new coil!

Also guys is it easy to change the sending unit within the tank for the fuel gauge?
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Glad you are getting to the bottom of your elec issues! I was gonna ask if you had the right voltage coil but it seemed like such an obvious question...
Yes, the sending unit is a cinch to change. When you unbolt the sending unit plate and start to to lift it out you need to twist and turn gently as its kind of a puzzle to slide out. But not a big deal!
*[___]
(o\ ! /o) yes! I was bored....
Sgt-Mike-Larry

Post by Sgt-Mike-Larry »

Thanks DC, Yeah i'm getting there ever so slowly it has been one thing after another thus far... ALL ELECTRICAL issues, I have a funny feeling the guy who had it before I got my hands on it sort of had the "that'll do" approach which in my eyes is pretty silly with something that can easily catch fire.

As for the Coil it was a complete Rookie error on my behalf instead of going in and asking - "excuse me fine sir, may I please have a 12v Coil for a 66 vw beetle?" I mearly asked can I please have a coil for a 66 beetle?.... popped it in and it ate both my Dynamos alive from my own stupidity. At least i've learnt from my mistake, Im lucky it hasn't damaged anything else other than my Dynamos... well, that I am able to see anyway!

thanks for the tip on the sending unit removal DC!

(I'm sure I will have more questions along the line!)

Kindest regards

Mike.
Sgt-Mike-Larry

Post by Sgt-Mike-Larry »

Hey Guys,

Finally got a chance to work on the o'l bug yesterday morning. After removing the burnt out dynamo, coil and the regulator just for interests sake. It turned out that my regultor points had fussed shut and was no longer working... which in turn destroyed both of my dynamos. With all electrical issues resolved now I just have to figure out now what to do with the oil puddles it leaves behind when I park it....
Blue Baron

Re: Dynamo issues!

Post by Blue Baron »

Sgt-Mike-Larry wrote:Hi guys,

Recently had my old dynamo wear out as it was no longer charging up my battery, it had ceased out-putting any energy what so ever. So my Dad picked me up a second hand one from a local VW repair man as his reconditioned ones looked a little... On the Iffy side. With much huffing and puffing we finally got the new (secondhand) dynamo fitted and running brilliantly.
The first thing you should have done was check the condition of your brushes. More generators have been replaced over a lousy $3 set of brushes than you can possibly imagine.

You test the brushes by pushing down on them with the engine running. If the commutator sparks and the dash light goes out, replace them with a new pair and go on your way.
Sgt-Mike-Larry

Re: Dynamo issues!

Post by Sgt-Mike-Larry »

Blue Baron wrote:
Sgt-Mike-Larry wrote:Hi guys,

Recently had my old dynamo wear out as it was no longer charging up my battery, it had ceased out-putting any energy what so ever. So my Dad picked me up a second hand one from a local VW repair man as his reconditioned ones looked a little... On the Iffy side. With much huffing and puffing we finally got the new (secondhand) dynamo fitted and running brilliantly.
The first thing you should have done was check the condition of your brushes. More generators have been replaced over a lousy $3 set of brushes than you can possibly imagine.

You test the brushes by pushing down on them with the engine running. If the commutator sparks and the dash light goes out, replace them with a new pair and go on your way.
Hey Blue,

Yeah I did check the brushes first as the springs looked a little old, pressed them in with no luck. I'm pretty sure my regulator was just on its way out from the get go.... the one I replaced it with has no circuit board so hopefully there wont be any more issues in the future.

Kindest regards,
Mike.