Just a question

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
Flattop

Just a question

Post by Flattop »

With the 66 I bought I have found something that is odd. On the front hood the trim at the handle is about 5 in. short and the is a mounting hole(caped) I have no idea what it is for?? I have looked at the hood very carfully and it seems to be the right hood for the car the colour matches it does not seems to be from another year.. I will try to get a picture of it and post it..

Any quess

Wayne
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but it would seem you have a 62 or earlier hood that once had a crest on it. It would be mounted just above the handle and below the center trim piece. It could have been taken from a bug of the same color assuming that it is the original paint and not resprayed.. Just a thought....
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Another similar scenario would be a correct hood and the incorrect early trim intended to be used with a hood crest.
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Good point. But there was a hole already drilled for a crest that had a cap in it. Possibly could have been an attempt to put on the earlier trim and lost the crest I guess.
*[___]
(o\ ! /o) yes! I was bored....