My First 66'

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
First66'

My First 66'

Post by First66' »

I really wanted a bug to restore over the summer so i started searching craigslist. At first I saw a 71' super beetle and it was love at first sight (or so i thought). When I went to look at her i found out she was in horrible shape. The motor didn't run and it needed new everything. So I passed. A few days later I saw a decent looking 66' VW Beetle and thought she looked ok. I went to look at her and this time the love at first sight lasted and I bought her on the spot. She needs a lot of TLC but I have the time and the passion to fix her. She needs an all new interior (carpet, floor pans, seat upholistry, headliner, and glove box to start with). Also she needs a new gas tank, fuel line, and heater parts. I will post more as she starts to become more complete.
First66'

Post by First66' »

Also my beetle is a 1300cc but she has dual ports and a larger exhaust system. Anyone know what this is all about?
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

How do you know it's a 1300cc? What does the case number start with? If the case number starts with FO then it's a 1300 case that has been rebuilt at one time and the heads were replaced. Most comonly built to a 1600cc.
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Sorry, more importantly, congratulations on your 66 purchase! Best of luck on your restoration! And we look forward to some pictures...
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

I just saw your engine case # in a different posting. It's a 1970 1600cc single port (originally) motor that has been rebuilt or had the heads replaced and not the original 1300cc case that came from the factory. Hope this helps...
First66'

Post by First66' »

So do you think its not the original or did someone just upgrade it?
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

It's definitely not the original. It's out of a 1970 Bug. And it's been rebuilt or had the heads changed out because that particular engine code specified single port heads from the factory and you mentioned it had dual ports..
*[___]
(o\ ! /o) yes! I was bored....
First66'

Post by First66' »

Ok thanks for the info
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

No problem brother... Glad to help! That's we are here for to share our knowledge and experience and more importantly learn from others..
*[___]
(o\ ! /o) yes! I was bored....
First66'

Post by First66' »

Yea, I really love this forum. Its great to have a site like this to get help, get parts, and get lots of great info.