Generator

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

hopper

Generator

Post by hopper »

I need a word of advice I replaced on my 66 beetle a generator has new battery new battery cables but still wont hold a charge any advice would help even if its putting air in tires lol thank you[/b]
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Hopper and Welcome: Since you already replaced the generator, it's probably the voltage regulator - I would try replacing that next. It's usually the voltage regulator that ends up being the problem on the beetles. If that isn't it then you may have a short somewhere in your wiring harness (let's hope thats not it) Electrical or charging issues can be a pain.
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

I agree - probably the voltage regulator, although....you could try air in the tires :lol: Good luck with your charging issue - hope you get it fixed fast!
Phil
San Antonio
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

When you replace the generator you will have to polarize it with the regulator to get the juice going in the right direction. I haven't got my idiot book in front of me right now but it is a simple procedure. hope this helps.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
hopper

polorize

Post by hopper »

do i need a shop for this?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

No, I think this is something you can handle yourself. I'd encourage you to buy John Muir's "Compleat Idiot Book" becasue it gives you plenty of detail on these type of repairs.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Whenever you install anew or rebuilt generator or regulator you must polarize it with the battery. Take a long lead with clips{I use oneof my broken jumper cables]connect it to the negative pole or ground clamp of the battry to the ground screw of the generator.then take another piece of wire with bare ends and hold it to the positive side of the battery and touch it to the hot wire coming out of the generator.It's always the largest lead out to the battery. hope this helps, this info came straight from the idiot guide :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife