My VW legacy.... Please tell me yours!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
DC-Dubs

My VW legacy.... Please tell me yours!

Post by DC-Dubs »

Hello. Glad to be among those trying to keep the Air cooled classics alive. I grew up in a VW family. My dad worked for Lasher Porsche in Sacramento. Then broke off and started the Original Wolfsburg West in Sacramento. I grew up being delivered to school in a 61 double cab.
My dad was friends with John Muir. He was an acredited contributing writer for the complete idiots guide to keep your Volkswagen alive. He built performance VW race engines for the once famous and successful Larry Z's automotive. I am honored and appreciative of my exposure to the VW world through my dads legacy.
I daily drive a 66' all original and am currently doing a complete body off resto on another 66'. Just sold my 59 Ghia to fund the 66' resto.
I hope to learn from others here and hopefully be able to share in contribution to others. Best wishes to all!

Benjamin
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi DC-Dubs, and welcome to the forum. I don't knowe where any of us would be without Wolfsburg West!
rokemester

Re: My VW legacy.... Please tell me yours!

Post by rokemester »

DC-Dubs wrote:Hello. Glad to be among those trying to keep the Air cooled classics alive. I grew up in a VW family. My dad worked for Lasher Porsche in Sacramento. Then broke off and started the Original Wolfsburg West in Sacramento. I grew up being delivered to school in a 61 double cab.
My dad was friends with John Muir. He was an acredited contributing writer for the complete idiots guide to keep your Volkswagen alive. He built performance VW race engines for the once famous and successful Larry Z's automotive. I am honored and appreciative of my exposure to the VW world through my dads legacy.
I daily drive a 66' all original and am currently doing a complete body off resto on another 66'. Just sold my 59 Ghia to fund the 66' resto.
I hope to learn from others here and hopefully be able to share in contribution to others. Best wishes to all!

Benjamin
Love hearing your family's history and connections to air cooled VWs. Can't wait to see some of your resto pics. John Muir's book is one of my absolute favorites. It has helped me through many shade tree repairs.
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Thanks Rokemester! It's fun being apart of the VW community whether driving them, talking about them, looking and learning about them, and especially listening to other peoples stories and experiences. Thanks for letting me be a part of it on this forum.

Benjamin
jsixtysix

VW addiction!

Post by jsixtysix »

Hello DC Dubs,

Sounds like you grew up in a great environment! I did not grow up around VW's but, have always loved them. All types. I also currently own a daily driver '66. I would love to acquire an early double cab like the one you referenced driving to school in as a kid. Is that car still in the fam? If not, do you have photos? Would love to see it. I live in what sounds to be around your old stomping grounds, Chico, CA. What took you to Washington? Eagerly awaiting your posts and pics.
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Hey jsixtysix! No, the double cab was sold years ago. I have some Polaroids somewhere of that ride. It would be cool to get those digitized.
My first car was a 61 baja that I restored myself at age 14-16. Second car was a 63 ragtop with a 1.8l Porsche 914 motor and a prostreet trans. I could get the front tires off the pavement under the right conditions. I then went through several water cooled , a super hot built up GTI my dad built for me, a scirocco, and a dasher. Then back to air cooled. A 71 squareback. Then a 61 hardtop. Then A 62 baja with a sunroof and a 1835cc. I drove that thing everywhere and it always took the abuse. Then a 71 standard Vert. A 65 chopped top and slamed. A 59 Ghia. And now two 66 bugs and a 76 baywindow. I wish I had everyone of those still, but not the case. I love my two 66s and plan on keeping those in the family...

Benjamin