pushrod seals

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Miss Harbour

pushrod seals

Post by Miss Harbour »

Hello
we are proud new owners of a 66 bug.
Our baby is loosing a little oil from 2 push rod tubes/seals after a 1200 mile trouble free trip. I`ve been informed that I may have to remove the engine in order to do the work...IS it True ? Should I replace the tubes at the same time and how can I tell if they are adjustable tubes or not?
hope someone can help
Thks Gregg
We love our bug
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Yes, unfortunately you will have to remove the cylinder heads in order to replace the seals. While you are at it and the engine is out of the vehicle, you might as well replace everything that you are unsure of. If you are doing the work yourself I highly recommend John Muir's "Compleat Idiot Book" for VW repairs. He has a whole section on overhauling the engine. Good luck with the work and WELCOME to the forum!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hi Greg and Welcome to the forum! I agree with John on his recommendation of John Muir's book - it gives a lot of illustrations that may be helpful. Good luck with the bug repair!
Phil
San Antonio
Miss Harbour

Thk U

Post by Miss Harbour »

I thk U for your reply
it ws much appreciated and I plan on buying John`s book.
I do have one more question .do I have to take out the engine to replace the tubes?
Swear last question
LOL
Thks again . Gregg
We love our bug
duncan

push rods tubes

Post by duncan »

yer you hav2 remove the engine and dismantle all 1 side of the tin wear remove the head .get new push rod tube seals 2.for the time it takes to take it out ya better of doing all the tubes and seals.once out it will maybe take a hour.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Yep Greg - just like Duncan said - it has to come out!
Miss Harbour

Thks

Post by Miss Harbour »

Thanks Guys
I guess that rebuild is going to be 3 months before schedule ! lol
Have a wonderful day
We love our bug
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Well, don't feel too bad Greg - I bought a 1966 back in 2003 and the guy said he rebuilt the engine for me - and he did - with rusty old valve springs that failed - so I had a rebuild way ahead of schedule (and a lot of other mechanical repairs). The important thing is just getting it to the point where you don't worry about it anymore! Good luck with the engine work and keep us posted!