Beetle George Runs Again

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Keith Pratt

Beetle George Runs Again

Post by Keith Pratt »

Hi I’m new to the forum and thought I would say high. I have owned my Beetle, George, from 1982 but he’s been dry stored since Sept 1997. It was a simple thing; a broken handbrake cable that took him off the road and it was work and other stuff that always came along that kept him garaged.
I’ve given up a well paid but thankless job to live in the closest place in the UK to California, Cornwall. So with some time on my hands- and hints from an un-named person that taking £200 from a scrap man would be a good thing for a lump of metal and a bigger lump of spare metal- I got the car running. A gallon of petrol and three turns of the starter and was all it took to get it running.
One reason for joining the forum is I don’t know what I’ve exactly got as when I bought it; it was enough that it was a Beetle. The original owner in October 1966, paid £750 for it new when a standard car cost closer to £400. It is white with original cream running boards when new. It has factory fitted sunroof, lowered suspension, extra torsion bar, disc brakes and Blaupunkt radio.
I still have the original engine and box but years ago I fitted a 1700 with Twin port and went 12 volt. My first objective is to get it roadworthy and a MOT.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hello Keith - Nice to have you here on the forum.
Phil
San Antonio
Keith Pratt

Post by Keith Pratt »

Thanks and Hi. Who or where should I ask as to model? Is it a case of a straight 1966 with the factory extras thrown at it? White with cream running boards was an odd choice.