1930s Ford lookalike bonnet....

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

ANavarro

1930s Ford lookalike bonnet....

Post by ANavarro »

Good morning: A few days ago, a friend of mine showed me a picture of an old '66 Beetle but somewhat customized. The guy who owned the car had swapped the original bonnet for a fibreglass one wich looked like a 30s Ford.
He even replaced the rear window with an oval shaped one, but kept the original fenders and teardrop front lights. The car looked very nice, and I was wondering wether someone cold possibly tell me where to find any info regarding those bonnets. My friend is planning to build a kind of "hot rod" replica with an old VW he was presented.
Any info would be much appreciatted.
Kind regards...
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Boy - thats a hard one - back in the 70's you could find these old rolls-royce fiberglass hoods for the bugs at JCWhitney - it was easy to find them - much harder now since most folks are into restoration vs. customization. You might want to try JCWhitney and see if they have anything like that anymore. Good luck!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

FOUND IT!

http://www.retro-designs.com/

Page all the way to the bottom to see the hoods for the classic beetles. Enjoy!
ANavarro

Thank you for the info. Actually, I already knew about....

Post by ANavarro »

...those "Rolls Royce style" bonnets (I'll keep from telling what I think about them, I don't want to seem offensive, :) )

The car I was talking about had a very differente bonnet, a very "round shaped one", looking like a 30s Ford or Chevy coupé. It looked very smart, indeed, not like that boxy ugly Rolls style front hood...!!!!!

Cheers....!!!!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Not sure where you will find that - I googled for them but came up empty - maybe someone else on the board will be able to point you in the right direction.
ANavarro

I just can think about a "hand made" bonnet....

Post by ANavarro »

..or something like that, a "one off" limited run bonnet. The name of the magazine where we saw it is "Chrom und Feuer", IIRC, an old custom and bike german magazine where a german guy built an old VW to look like an old 30s Hot Rod car.
Best regards....