Bugsley

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
rroles

Bugsley

Post by rroles »

My first Bug was a 1963. It was purchased in July 1967 for 895.00. In June 1969 traded the 63 for a red 1966 Mustang. I started buying bugs again in 1975 and have owned around 30. Most of the 66 Bugs have been the sand color. Last July I went to an estate sale in Beckley WV. They had several old vehicles including two Bugs. The star of the show was lot # 145, a red 1966 VW. I registered and after looking at Bugsley decided that it would go for over 10,000.00. When the bidding slowed at six I decided to bid sixty two. The bidding stopped at sixty seven and when they were about to sell the bug I bid sixty-eight. I took Bugsley home with me. On the key chain there was a tag that said "Happy Days Dream Cars" and there was as phone # listed. I called the number and found out that Bugsley was restored in 2002 by a VW shop in Ardmore, OK. I called the shop and found out that Bugsley had been owned by a doctor in Miami OK and that he had spent over thirty thousand restoring Bugsley. New 1600 engine with duel webbers, electronic ignition& 134A air conditioning. New transmission, front axle, steering box, wiring, new TMI interior,chrome wheels, tires, four wheel disc brakes and new clear cote red paint. The speedo was set at zero in 2002 and when I got Bugsley it was showing 2,422 miles. Bugsley is along way from being original but everything that's been replaced has made it a better car. I checked the NADA value of Bugsley the other day and it's 15,600.00. I entered my first car show and couldn't beleive it when I got one of only five trophies given out. Bugsley is a combination of my first and second cars. The 1963 bug and the red 1966 Mustang. I was 17 when I got my first Bug in 1967. Bugsley is such a sweet car. I love driving it.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Great Story - and sounds like a great find! Congrats on your trophy!