Formula Vee?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

empiracer1966

Formula Vee?

Post by empiracer1966 »

I just purchased for parts, what I was told, a 1965 Beetle with no title...upon closer inspection, It has a ball joint front beam, center of the dash vent and a stamped hole for the emergency flasher. All tell tail signs of a 1966. When I was able to "crawl" behind the car (the car was in the back corner of an a ground hog haven, enclosed carport :shock: ) I was able to see one of my favorite depictions...the 1300 script on the deck lid :D with an unmolested 1300 engine. Not sure at this point if its numbers matching or not...But unyway...the car was repainted during its life as most have been, but this one has a very unique stripe that was saved by masking it off before being repainted. The stripe goes across the top at about the rear seat area and down the side then turns towards the front, ending in a point a few inches from the doors edge. I do remember Beetles like this from my youth but only recently with this aquisition, Im becoming interested in its significance, If any. I am told that the stripe was a dealer installed option...the Formula Vee, a package like that of EMPI. They also said that possibly it had a FV shifter and badges on the front cowl area.
I did find some FV or Formula Vee parts for sale on theSamba but no information. :? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
ANavarro

Do you mean a paintwork such this one...?.....

Post by ANavarro »

http://www.adclassix.com/images/62vwbeetle2tone.jpg

Looks like a round small cheap '57 Chevy....!!!!

Kind regards from Spain...
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I've never seen this before but it looks pretty cool from the picture! If I run accross any information on it I'll pass it along - my guess is thaty it was indeed a dealer installed option.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Thanx ANavarro for the pic...but thats not it...the closest pic that Ive found via internet is a 1978 SP1600 South African model that I found at

www.sebeetles.com/sp_bug.htm

The stripe thats on my car is a lil thicker...Ill get some pics of it as soon as i drag it out in the open to bring home.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB