Help! Where is the best place to order parts?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Volksie

Help! Where is the best place to order parts?

Post by Volksie »

We are finally going to start some work on my VW and were wanting to get some suggestions as to the best places to order parts. We're looking at Wolfsburgwest to order the seat covers, headliner, carpet and mats. Are there any suggestions as to where to order the best seals. I noticed one site sold a complete kit, with all the seals on the car, for around $400.00. Also the vinyl door panels on front and rear need to be replaced, but I noticed the ones in Wolfsburgwest don't come with the pocket on the driver's door. Any suggests as to where to get the most original ones. I found one site, but they just come in white. We're still trying to decide whether to try to install the headliner on our own. Would you recommend it to beginners? We appreciate any help you can give us as this is all new to us. Thanks!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I've heard of people having varying success with headliners and the "bug me" videos. Personally I won't touch one, I have a friend who is an upholsterer and he'll hang one for me at a rate that I'd be an idiot to pass on in order to try my hand at it. W.W. is a good source for a lot of OEM-style stuff. West Coast Metric's supposed to be a decent place to get rubber and seals, but I have not used them myself. Door cards are hard. I Think ther's a thread around here somewhere about finding correctly styles door cards for a '66 but I also recall they're like hen's teeth.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Nobody sells a proper mass produced door panel for a '66. Unless you want to go with generic cookie-cutter panels, the only place that makes the proper '66 pattern is West Coast Classic Restotation. They're expensive and the owner is a scatterbrain, but the product is beautiful. I'm very proud to have them in our '66 sunroof.
austempien

Post by austempien »

fatalifeaten wrote:I've heard of people having varying success with headliners and the "bug me" videos. Personally I won't touch one, I have a friend who is an upholsterer and he'll hang one for me at a rate that I'd be an idiot to pass on in order to try my hand at it. W.W. is a good source for a lot of OEM-style stuff. West Coast Metrics supposed to be a decent place to get rubber and seals, but I have not used them myself. Door cards are hard. I Think ther's a thread around here somewhere about finding correctly styles door cards for a '66 but I also recall they're like hen's teeth.
I seem to recall that WCM offers free shipping or 10% during Christmas time. I've made up a list of stuff and have been waiting for the notification.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I might also suggest you look on the buyer and seller feedback forum on the samba. There's tons of feedback on tons of vendors in the hobby there.

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!

After you read through those threads a bit you can probably get a good feel for a vendor. One really irritated customer stirring the pot to vent his spleen is one thing. Dozens or hundreds of bad reports is a completely different animal. Even the best vendors out there aren't infallible, but they're going to have a heck of a lot more positive feedback than negative. There are a lot of trolls on the samba, but generally speaking the feedback forums will give you a good idea of which vendors are legit and which ones are shady (and there are a LOT of shady ones out there so do your research!)
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

For what it's worth I've had a great experience with ordering parts from Wolfsburg West. Very professional, good quality, timely delivery. I'm also lucky enough to have a local parts outlet here in the Cleveland area for getting more run of the mill stuff. I also have fun checking out swap meets during the summer months for 6v stuff that is getting more difficult to find. Oh by the way I wouldn't mess with a headliner either. I'm totally impressed with anyone who attempts it and gets even halfway decent results. I think it can be done, but how will it really look after hours of fastidious effort?