Cracked Door Jamb?

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
jabbiate

Cracked Door Jamb?

Post by jabbiate »

Hello All - I am new to the forum and just got my 66 bug back from being renovated here in San Diego. It's a long story but I did not intend to buy it back. My question is: Has anyone seen bugs with a cracked door jamb that extends around the corner on to the rear quarter panel just above the chrome trim? I don't know if this is a common stress point for bugs but thought I would check if anyone else has seen this issue.

Thanks,
John
Attachments
2011-02-24_10-36-16_637.jpg
2011-02-24_10-36-16_637.jpg (82.57 KiB) Viewed 20743 times
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Nice looking Bug. You will have better luck getting a response if you post this to the technical forum. Good luck!
jabbiate

Thanks

Post by jabbiate »

I'll give that a shot. I am new to the forum so not too sure how things work.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Yep, I have a tiny one appearing on my car, left hand side only (passenger side here in the UK, Drivers side in the USA of course)
jabbiate

Interesting...

Post by jabbiate »

I was told that this is a common spot for stress cracks because this is where the factory welds are on the old bugs. I tend to believe it because both sides of my 66 had cracks when I got it a few years ago. The guy that restored it said he ground these areas out and mig welded them shut for more strength. I'll keep you posted if they resurface on the new paint.

Thanks for the feedback
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Yes, it's a very common stress crack area. I don't know if it has anything to do with where the car was welded at the factory, but unless you're planning a repaint, I wouldn't wory too much about it.
jabbiate

Post by jabbiate »

Thanks for the follow up. The guy who restored it welded them up and I was just curious if anyone else had seen this issue as well. The bug was very rust free and not hit before so it seemed odd to crack there. Oh well, not to worry... thanks again