The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index The 1966 VW Beetle Forum
This Forum is proudly sponsored by
www.1966vwbeetle.com - "The Site for 1966 Beetle Owners & Fans"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is this Button?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern66

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: What is this Button? Reply with quote

I am new to the forum (and Beetles) and have a 66. I already have a question. What is the button to the right of the ashtray in my picture? The owner's manual shows nothing there or hazard lights in later models. Seems to have a relay attached behind the dash, but, nothing happens when I pull the button out. Question

66 Beetle Dash.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.22 KB
 Viewed:  4209 Time(s)

66 Beetle Dash.jpg

fatalifeaten

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's something a previous owner added on. Can you trace the wires and see what you come up with?
Northern66

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting until the temperature gets above 0 c (about 32 F) to go into my unheated garage and work on the cold metal. Tonight is about -15 c.

I will chase the wires and see if I can identify where it goes.
I thought the black centre of the button wasn't a match for the rest.

Thanks
Northern66

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Mystery Button with 3 wires Reply with quote

I chased the wires this afternoon (2 larger dark green and 1 smaller green with white stripe), but, they just went into the wiring harness and don't know where they go from there.
I checked the power and it does have power when the key is turned on (none without the key on).

Also could not get the turn signals to work, but, checked another post on the forum and found a link to the turn signal/flasher relay wiring. Found the Turn signal switch wire (black/white/green) was on terminal 54 instead of 49a. Moved it and the signals worked, but, the dash light blinked on and off even when turn signal/flashers were off Question Question Question Question Question Question

Love this forum. Hate wiring.

Appreciate any ideas on both problems.

Shaun
Blue Baron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of '66 Beetle turn signal anomolies.
Northern66

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

Got used to wiring problems with a 72 Triumph Spitfire. Everything in the car gounded (not very well) to one location.
The Beetle was converted to 12v. I'm thinking maybe following the original wiring diagrams may not always work? That could explain the turn signal problem and the fact that one headlight only works on high beam (tried a new light and same thing, so it is a wiring thing).
In a 6v to 12v conversion, what wiring could I expect to be changed and what could still be the original schematics?
fatalifeaten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, see if this is of any use at all...

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/6v_12v.htm

Ideally, the harness itself should be the same after the conversion, it's just the components that plug into the harness that change.

Unfortunately in a 45 year old car, if you still have a complete and correct factory harness you're in the lucky minority, they get hack to bits as cars change hands over time.

You can get a replacement harness for (last time I looked into it) about 250 bucks, plus your labor to install it. I know that's a big time and money commitment, so you have to weight the cost against your frustration level and see which one wins.
Blue Baron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '66 6-volt VW used a blue box for the turnsignal and flasher relay. When you switch to 12-volt, you need to swap to a '67 "black box" if you plan to keep the wiring stock. Gremlins can crop up in these old relay boxes after so many years. Wolfsburg West lists parts number for new reproduction blue/black boxes, but I'm not sure if they're available yet.
Northern66

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Bluebox/black box Reply with quote

This is the 9 terminal relay that is causing all the problems with the turn signals. When I put the wires according to the diagram I found on another posting on the forum, the turn signals work, but, the turn signal light on the speedometer flashes constantly - even when the turn signal is off. But when I put the wires back to where they were when I got the car (black/white/green wire on terminal 54 instead of 49A) no flashing on the dash, but, no turn signal either???????
Ground problem?
I'm stumped.

100_0209.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.73 KB
 Viewed:  4090 Time(s)

100_0209.JPG

Emrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If you could not trace the wires till its end then leave it dude.
Just think that this button is decorating your car's interior. lol....

Raj Tv Live

Last edited by Emrick on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
scatpackbee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That black knob is not an add on from a previous owner.

My '66 has the same knob in the same place, with 2 green wires from the wiring harness going to a relay on the back side of the knob.

I too am trying to figure out what that knob does, as I'm going to perform a 12 volt conversion.

I'm going to email a guy who has the same car and see if he knows.

I'll post the answer if I get one.
scatpackbee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an email from a person who has had a 66 Beetle in his family since new, and he tells me the black knob is the on/off switch for a gas heater, which apparently was common on Canadian Beetles.
Northern66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Scatpackbee - that's exactly what I found. The "shell" of an old gas heater is mounted above the trans (just in front of the motor). There are no gas lines, wiring, hoses going to the gas heater any more. I assume it was all removed when the car was converted to 12V 10 years ago.
I suppose if I ever want something else installed in the car I can use the switch (converted to 12V).
Thanks everyone fro responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The 1966 VW Beetle Forum Forum Index -> 1966 Technical or Mechanical Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: