The new boy from Hampshire

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
strikey1980

The new boy from Hampshire

Post by strikey1980 »

hi guys and girls ,
Loved dubs for years but never invested until my partner decided to get a loan and she bought a Jeans beetle. After 1 drive I was hooked. My love for the dubs and the scene has gone up and up from then. I took the Jeans off her hands once our son was born and she took my golf. An unfortunate incident in November 2010 involving myself a pensioner driver and a lamp post meant the jeans was beyond my skills and funds to repair. The insurance paid and I knew i would be looking for a pre 68. I saw an advert for a 66 and I have had him for a week now. I have a few issues to address which is mostly the reason I joined the forum........
1. He pops out of 2nd gear on de-acceleration
2. The doors dont seem to shut properly. Can feel a breeze at the top of drivers side and can see daylight and a breeze at bottom of passenger side
3. after an extreme amount of rain it was a little wet in the back drivers side footwell.
4. get a grinding and vibration through the steering wheel when I have full lock turning right. Common sense tells me it could be bearings or maybe just rubbing on the wheel. Gonna put him on a axle stands at the weekend and investigate.

Needless to say I am reading my copy of "how to keep your bug alive " with great interest. It still makes me smile that even with a list of things twice as long its not half the job as what it would be on any other car.

Looking forward to some shows this year and hopefully find some like minded people locally.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

You should take your questions to the technical forum, Strikey. Popping out of gear normally indicates a worn out trans, though it could be a broken front transmission mount, but it would be more likely to pop out over a chuckhole than under decelleration.

Congrats on the purchase of a '66.