Problems with my Beetle: The gear shift stopped working.....

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

ANavarro

Problems with my Beetle: The gear shift stopped working.....

Post by ANavarro »

Good evening everybody: The thing is that this afternoon, something happened to my Beetle. I've been driving it for two days, and noted the first gear hard to shift, and the second gear even harder, with a loud metallic scratching noise when shifting. But this afternoon, the cluth pedal suddenly felt "loose", with no pressure, and making impossible to shift any gear, as if a wire were loose or a cluth pump were without any pressure when you push it. I turn off the engine, shift any gear, then turns on the engine and the car runs "jumping", but I can't get anything from the cluth pedal, I can't insert any other gear. My question is: Does the car have a clutch pump? The gears get shifted just with a wire actuator?.
Thank you in advance....!!!!!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi ANavarro:Sounds like you have a broken clutch cable! If your clutch has fallen to the floor you can almost bet on it. I had this happen once before and it sounds just like what you are describing! The Compleat Idoit Book has a section on how to replace it! Good luck it can be a pain! John