New '66 owner

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

porsche99

New '66 owner

Post by porsche99 »

I just purchased a 66 VW and was curious what might be things to look after first to make the car better. It is pretty much original, but needs lots of tlc, is and will continue to be a daily driver. It has been two years since my 69 Ghia was stolen and totaled and over 20 since my last VW bug.

Just wondering what people might think would be things to look at first as I redo the gem.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Porsche99! Congratulations on your 66 purchase. Here are some of the things I would do:

Go through the engine and change the plugs, points, condenser and do a valve adjustment, oil change, tune up etc...obviously the valve adjustment would be the most important thing to do. Not sure if you know the history of the engine (has it been rebuilt - how much of a rebuild was it? etc..) This might help you guage other engine repair work that might need to be done in the future. I'd change the tranny fluid for sure. Check the front end ball joints and make sure they are in good shape, if not get them replaced ASAP. Re-pack your wheel bearings. Check your charging system.

Once you feel comfortable with the mechanicals then you can start worrying about the exterior and interior and work on it as you can fit it in.

These are just my thoughts, I'm sure others will jump on and give you suggestions too! Good luck with your new 66 - I'm sure you two will have a lot of fun together!
porsche99

Post by porsche99 »

Thank you for the input. I pick her up Friday and am goimg to follow your suggestions. I have my original Mier's manua with 70's grease on it to guide me.
Attachments
blueVW.jpg
blueVW.jpg (8.27 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Nice Looking Beetle! Looks very familiar :lol:
porsche99

Post by porsche99 »

Don't even remember this color blue, and not only do I buy one, but now I see them all over (well atleast all over the web).

I'd be curious how many of these blue ones were sold.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Me too! The color is "Sea Blue", it's funny you should talk about how you see them now, at the VW Show near Milwaukee on Saturday there were 4 Sea Blue Beetles, I never remembered seeing that many Sea Blue Beetles before (when I had my Sea Sand Beetle anyway). I love the color though, its a very unique color of blue.