Beaverton, Oregon 1966 Type 1

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Aynthm

Beaverton, Oregon 1966 Type 1

Post by Aynthm »

Started thinking of a project in June 2010. Wanted to do a '68 Mustang but found that the parts were way too costly. Then wanted an old Honda Civic '82 and couldn't find any parts at all. Then the Bug idea hit me and I found an entire community out there. Cheaper parts, cars in various degrees of construction and a whole world of knowledgeable people there to help. I found the exact type of project car I wanted. I had to make two trips 225 miles each way. First trip was to view the car, it's parts and ponder. The second trip was to pick it up and bring it home. It's been with me just over a month and I've started a project page with pictures of my progress in building it back up.
http://cid-cc6eb06813162fb4.photos.live ... 6%20THREAD

It's a '66 chassis, VIN 116 468 194 Engine AD814072. This car was put together in December '65. The engine is a SP 1600 with 2,200 miles on it. The front end is new, pans new, por 15 all around and has all new SS brake lines. Basically it's a new car from the waist down. I am stripping the car to metal from the waist up, redoing the entire body and replacing all broken and old parts. I've found sideboard bolts broken off, some fender bolts broken off and some bondo that I have to redo. I've got a roof rack that I've finished, seats that I am working on and a thousand other things I have to do before I can drive this anywhere.

That's my story and I'll be posting pictures so keep checking back and ask me for help anytime. This is the only car I've ever rebuilt. I have learned so much already and it's been a month. Thanks
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Cool! I'll be looking forward to pix of your progress. Looks like you've been going at a fast clip. Do you know what your finished colors will be?
Aynthm

Post by Aynthm »

At first I was thinking about shantung yellow with chalk white interior. Due to the cost of everything I have begun experimenting with smoke gray body using rustoleum and a roller. I've just painted the inside of the trunk and engine lid one coat. Just an experiment. I have a garage but no $ for a professional 3K paint job or the compressor etc. I found a thread on doing a paint job with roller and 6 coats, wet sanding every two coats with no primer. I am trying it first. It looks good right now and is the perfect industrial look. Very 40 ish. I think I will do the upholstery in regular red to give it that darker emergency STOP or fire extenguisher look. I work in a large factory and everything is gray and red and very drab. Been there 25 years. Got used to the look of steam pipes and fittings, rivets and hammers and anvils. Red spaced out for emergency exits and flashers. I might use this motif. The plus side is that the paint is cheap and hard as a rock when dried. The red seats and gray rubber mats will harken back to a time of little money, industrialization, hammer and sickle, and LOW tech. This idea is growing on me as I take this machine apart and realize just how basic and brilliant this metal device is. Very little modern plastics, very little cloth and coconut seats for pete's sake. Thanks for looking.

Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Wow, polar opposite combos. Both are sharp. You give an eloquent explanation of the mood of the industrial scheme. The first combo sounds elegant with a VERY different airy,peaceful feeling. I'm an artist so I “get” both. If your project is supposed to express something about you, guess industrial would be the way to go. If your project is meant to be an escape from work . . . . what are you thinking?! :lol:
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Unbelievably ambitious. Impressive. I'm liking those tires for $41 bucks a pop. NICE. Have to get me some of those.
Aynthm

Industrial

Post by Aynthm »

I can't escape from work. Who cares anyway. That's what this project is all about. The factory won't change. When I get home I can express myself and do what I can't do there. If we just become the old cog in the wheel we have become the walking dead. I love this idea of taking a BUG apart and fixing everything. I finished the burlap over the front seats. Waiting for my JBUGS order. I will be getting the seat covers, complete rubber (GERMAN) kit for the body, doors and engine. They were about $50 bucks total to get german than Brazillian. I've been told that the OEM rubber is so much better and instals easier. I ordered a window crank, visor clips, etc. Small stuff that was broken. I will keep anything that will work and replace it later if it breaks. My turn signal arm is broken and I don't see a good way of attaching it back yet. New ones cost about $120 and Im told are fragile and cheap. If I can run a rod in the small channel and epoxy it in to hold the arm on. It might work.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I replaced my entire wiring harness this past Memorial Day weekend. WELL WORTH it. Lot's of electrical gremlins now GONE! I highly recommend it, especially while the car is apart.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I was skeptical about the roller painting technique, but have since heard good things about it.