Gas mileage

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Russell 66

Gas mileage

Post by Russell 66 »

I've had my '66 a week now and am kind of sursrised it only gets 23-24mpg. I have the original 1300 and it runs like a dream. I have wider than original tires though, so I figure maybe that's why the mileage isn't as good as I was expecting. My Dad said they didn't worry about mileage in '66 so, back then, that was good.
What do you guys get?
jimbolia

Post by jimbolia »

That sounds about right. I haven't figured it up but it seems right. Much better than my other car at 13 mpg.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

If it runs like a dream I wouldn't worry about it, but fuel mileage is affected by several factors, including the distributor that's on it and the carb jets. Your engine also could have been rebuilt with larger cylinders and bigger valves. Also, when was your last tune-up?

But even when everything is perfect, you can only expect around 27 miles per gallon. The technology just wasn't there in the VW design for super gas mileage. Even at twice the weight of the old bug, our TDI New Beetle gets twice the mileage.
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Thank you both, I feel a little better. She had a tune-up right before I purchased her and my "nothin but VW/Audi" mechanic drove and pronounced her in wonderful running order.
I'm not hard on her while driving, but I don't baby her either. I suppose I could eek out another mile or two mpg if I didn't enjoy her spunk so much. What fun would that be for me or her though?
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Blue Baron wrote:If it runs like a dream I wouldn't worry about it, but fuel mileage is affected by several factors, including the distributor that's on it and the carb jets. Your engine also could have been rebuilt with larger cylinders and bigger valves. Also, when was your last tune-up?

But even when everything is perfect, you can only expect around 27 miles per gallon. The technology just wasn't there in the VW design for super gas mileage. Even at twice the weight of the old bug, our TDI New Beetle gets twice the mileage.
I'm way late to this thread (been away a while) but had to comment.

I've consistently received 35+ mpg. Original 1300 6volt. If I go 55 on the freeway, I get around 38. If I go 65, or a lot of around town driving, it goes down to around 31, 32. I'm very surprised to hear someone say that 27 is as good as you can expect. I had a 71 that only got around 21. But that was a Baja with 32 inch tires.

So why am I getting good mileage?? There's nothing special about her. She had a tune up recently and that did not change the mpg. Is it a fluke?
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

I THOUGHT SO! Thanks so much for the reply. All four of my tires are larger than original but the rear are noticeably larger. My tires were discussed in the introduction forum where I've posted pix of the car and I was told the rear are 253/60x15 tires on 8" rims. I've four disc brakes as well and my rear fenders were widened, presumably to accommodate it all. The rest of the car is stock and was NOT lowered. I live in Downtown Jacksonville so I'm either in city driving or on the highway doing 60-65. :oops: Still, I'll ask my mechanic about the mileage.

The person I bought if from told me it's great on mileage but he never kept track. He said, "You'll only have to put gas in it about once a month." :lol:
He didn't tell me the tires were larger before I made the trip to see the car either. I'm guessing now he thought it might have been an issue. Actually, I love the car. Didn't buy it for it's gas mileage.
I've been trying to locate the person who did the restoration so I can find out more of its history. I've got a name and number now but am having trouble connecting. When I do, he may confirm the mileage stuff. No matter, I'm in total love with the car. :cheers:
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Don't take my word as gospel on mpg. I only know what I get. I think the factory said 28 back then. So my numbers seem very high. But I've checked them consistently for about 7 months now. Because even I didn't believe it. I thought it was supposed to be higher than 28 (I had to look it up after I posted), but I knew 38 was really high. Figured I was wrong. But I checked, checked and checked. I was worried that giving it a tune up would "jinx" the magic. But it didn't.

If you're getting mid 20's, I'd say you're doing about right. Higher than that, you're doing much better. I'm NEVER selling this magic bug.

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Sure you don't have a practical joker in your family who's adding gas for the fun of it? :shock: :lol: Your's does sound pretty great but it sounds as if you drive for optimum results. What's your buggy look like?
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Russell 66 wrote:Sure you don't have a practical joker in your family who's adding gas for the fun of it? :shock: :lol: Your's does sound pretty great but it sounds as if you drive for optimum results. What's your buggy look like?
It looks like crap. :D

It's light blueish, with some greenish, and some kinda redish streaks under the greenish parts. Metal sunroof, black vinyl shredded interior, 12v stereo in a 6v car that was never even hooked up and I can't for the life of me figure out why it's even there. Or why I haven't removed it in the almost 3 years I've had it. You know, pretty standard.

But I love this car. It runs like a champ. And I do drive nice. I go 55 on the freeway and could care less about irritating other drivers. I stay in the slow lane and always let other vehicles have the right of way when I can. Most people don't care. Quite a few smile and wave at the goofy looking piece of history they're passing. Off the freeway I drive what I'd consider normal. Not hard on the clutch or petal, but not super conservative either. Normal.

And while my family certainly has the capacity to play this type of prank on me, it usually takes an act of God to get the hood open with just one person. Sometimes a chore with 2. I could fix it, but it's not high on my priority list. I use it to remind me people are still somewhat nice and helpful when I ask for help at the gas station. And I need that reminder often. 8)

Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for the wonderful bout of out-loud laughing! It felt great! No wonder your car gets such great mileage. My car is like the pretty girl who doesn't have to be anything but pretty to be admired. Yours . . . well . . . you know what I mean.

Actually, Yours sounds adorable!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

pira114 wrote:Don't take my word as gospel on mpg. I only know what I get. I think the factory said 28 back then. So my numbers seem very high. But I've checked them consistently for about 7 months now. Because even I didn't believe it.
I'd say to check your speedometer. It's probably off. A stock 1300 should get around 27 mph, though driving 55 will help. I drive my engines flat out or close to flat out on the highway, because that's how they were intended to be driven.

I think Russel 66's mileage is being affected by those large tires.
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

I think you're right about the tires too. My husband had a super beetle in college and our '66 feels more stable because of the wider tires. The clencher for us purchasing this car was 4 disc brakes. Awesome. They aren't power assisted but she stops on a dime every time. We'd prefer stock tires but don't mind the wide if they come with more stability and super brakes. If it also means lower gas mileage, so be it. Love is blind!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Disc brakes are a huge improvement. We have them on three Beetles (but front only).
Emrick

Post by Emrick »

Hi,
Nothing to worry dude. I am using 88 of my own and it gives the average of 20-22mpg at both in the city and also at the highway mix and i am quite satisfied with its performance.......
Express News Live