Jeffrey City, Wyoming

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
brentsmith

Jeffrey City, Wyoming

Post by brentsmith »

Hi, everybody! I got my 66 Beetle on Thursday of this week. I'm already in love. Even though the generator left me on the side of the road last night. OK. It was my fault. The man who sold me the car told me I shouldn't run the radio and the headlights at the same time. The good thing is that the car is light enough to where 15 bucks worth of rope and my 12-passenger van got us home.

I just ordered some gaskets (a complete set plus the rear main bearing seal). I think the generator dying on me kept me from burning up the engine, as there is a good amount of oil in the engine compartment and none on the dipstick. I will likely be asking some questions on here with regard to replacing my gaskets. I'm not a "car guy," but am good at things like this when I have instructions and guidelines to follow. I plan to go through the whole car with a fine-toothed comb and redo the wiring and everything (since I think the wiring is the cause of the generator/battery issue). Can someone please tell me exactly which tools I'm going to need?

Thanks! I hope to make some new friends on here! I have some parts to trade, as well. I got an extra door, bonnet, fenders, etc. I know I'll need some new running boards.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welcome to the forum Brentsmith! Great to have you here as a member! Make sure you buy John Muir's Complete idiot book on how to maintain your VW - it will guide you step by step through all the procedures you need to do including trouble shooting and what tools you will need. Best of luck with the repairs and feel free to post any questions in the mechanical/technical section - there are a lot of really competent folks on the forum that will be more than happy to help you if you get stuck!
brentsmith

Post by brentsmith »

Thanks, John! You personally have already been a huge help with your sage advice! Yes, I have that book already on its way along with the Haynes manual from the lady from whom I bought the car.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I think it's a great idea that you go through the car and replace the entire wiring harness. Very good ones are available through theSamba.com. I did it on my Bug this past Memorial Day weekend. It took me 3-4 days of pretty intensive, concentrated effort. Take your time, take digital pictures and have fun. You will learn a ton about your car in the process. Please don't hesitate to post on the technical forum and PM me anytime. Welcome to the forum!!