Should I or Shouldnt I? Hazard light on a RHD Euro Bug

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

pupjoint

Should I or Shouldnt I? Hazard light on a RHD Euro Bug

Post by pupjoint »

I have a 66 Euro Bug RHD Deluxe that doesnt come with hazard lights.

I managed to buy a hazard light from one of the members here and also from Samba few years ago.

I am not sure if I should go ahead and hack my virgin dashboard.

hmmmmmm.....very undecided now :?

anyone has any close up shots on the measurements of the hole for the Hazard light on a US Spec 66?

my dash, not really 100% original now, i have a tach fitted but the mounting holes are under the dash.

jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi pupjoint - I can only speak for myself, I would not add it if it were not there already.
jimbolia

Post by jimbolia »

I agree, I wouldn't add it either. I like the clean dash look, the less the better.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

plus - I'm an original freak! My preference is to keep everything as original as possible - but that is me.
Boris1966

mmmmm

Post by Boris1966 »

Hi there
I also have the same dilema...... The emergency flashers are an important safety feature?
I haven't decided on where to put the switch either!
Ferdykid

Post by Ferdykid »

Hi,

I had the same dilemma and went for the half way option - looking at pics of where it should go, I decided that 1) it didn't look very symmetrical 2) the hole ideally should be slightly set in, like the light and wiper switches. So I decided to put it on the right hand side of the ashtray - where an optional cigarette lighter would have gone (and could go iy didn't like it!). I'll dig up a pic and post!

Now I can let people know when I am reversing etc!
Ferdykid

Post by Ferdykid »

Here goes!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I think the one-year-only flasher switch on the '66 makes the car distinctive, but it was a distinction on North American cars only, and a RHD wouldn't have had it.