Hello and some questions from Sydney

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
zorba

Hello and some questions from Sydney

Post by zorba »

Hello - Just joined from Sydney. I have, what I suspect is a 1966, right hand drive, pearl white beetle. His engine number is F0125740, which is within the range quoted on this website, but his body VIN number (under back seat) is 1960303160, which is not within the range. There is the 1300 plate on the back, but there are some interior aspects and his hub-caps do not match those depicted on the website. Just wondering if any of you nice beetle people may help. Is he a hybrid antipodean (australian) version, or maybe a non-delux variation? Many thanks indeed and best wishes - John
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi John - and Welcome to the Forum!

The Engine is a 1966 Model for sure! No doubt about that!!! There should be a VIN number in the trunk behind the spare tire too - I would suggest looking at that to get a number (just in case the one under the back seat is hard to read) - the 66 model should start with 116, 112, 114, 118, or 152 for Right hand drive models in 1966. I can't find any reference to a vin number starting with 196, so I'm not sure how that can be - but I'll do some more research and see what I can find.

I wouldn't be too worried about the hub caps as folks swapped hubcaps all the time so it could just be that someone bought some other caps at some point.

Also believe the dimmer switch was not moved to the dash on the European Models.

In addition there are some great books out there that deal with the European Model Beetles - I have at least one listed under the book review section of the forum - might be good reading for you since you have a RHD model.

Pearl White is one of my favorite colors - very sharp looking!

Thanks again for joining the Forum
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Welcome John,Hmnn,RHD odd vin,I say send her over here and let us take a look at her,and we'll get back to you in a few YEARS :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
chris

Post by chris »

welcome.... RHD.... thats awesome.. i want one!
chris
zorba

Post by zorba »

John and friends - Thanks for the information. I checked the VIN number in the hood behind spare, and it is the same as the one I sent your earlier, the one under the seat...196.....etc. I forgot to mention that the horn is the classical half-moon shape and still works! Would you be interested in some photos? Thanks again and best wishes - John
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Yes - I'd love to see a picture of your beetle! You can create you own album in the photo gallery or attach some photos when you post! Also, I will continue to check on that VIN number and see what I can come up with!
zorba

AustralianBeetles

Post by zorba »

JOhn - I found this website on Australian Beetles (http://members.netro.com.au/~vwcc/mathews.htm). Apparently there was a factory here that made them. That might explain the funny VIN? See what you think (I rang the book publisher, but it has been discontinued - I will check out second hand shops). I will post some photos soon. Best wishes and thanks - John
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Nice historical perspective on the beetles in Australia! I did notice that the 57 beetles start with the same 196 that your beetle vin number starts with but it doesn't look like they are as many digits long as yours. So my first thought was maybe the body was put on a 57 chassis but with too few digits this doesn't seem likely - the search continues!
zorba

Photos of AustralianBeelte

Post by zorba »

Hi Folks. Hope you like these....
Best wishes to you
Attachments
tom4.JPG
tom4.JPG (32.12 KiB) Viewed 14533 times
tom3.JPG
tom3.JPG (28.82 KiB) Viewed 14533 times
tom2.JPG
tom2.JPG (33.95 KiB) Viewed 14533 times
zorba

more photos Australian Beetle

Post by zorba »

more
Attachments
tom7.JPG
tom7.JPG (32.56 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
tom6.JPG
tom6.JPG (38.09 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
tom5.JPG
tom5.JPG (26.9 KiB) Viewed 14532 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I love it! Although I feel sorry for the Moose (at least it looks like amoose) just hanging there from the dash! :lol: Your car is in excellent shape!

That is one beautiful beetle. I'm still confused by the Vin number - I don't think you have a hybrid - I think it's the real deal alright! Perhaps we can come up with a solid answer in the next few days! Congratulations on the car - very sweet indeed!
zorba

Funny VIN number exposed?

Post by zorba »

John - Thought you might like to read this. I got this email from the VW king of Australia.....

A 196 prefix chassis number is an Australian built 1966. My own 65 sunroof is 195 700 020, ie only 6 digits after the prefix. Engine numbers in Australian built beetles were from the same block as German built cars. The engines were not built here, but imported from Germany. The chassis number suffixes were also from the German block - only the prefix changed to denote an Australian built car. For instance, there would not have been a 115 700 020 car built in Germany as that number was used on my car.

Michael Rochfort
Webmaster
Volkswagen Classic and Vintage Club of Australia www.vwclassicclub.org.au

This may solve the puzzle? Many thanks ag for all your help John. Best wishes to you
CostaRica1966

Post by CostaRica1966 »

Actually, VW's built outside germany, had some oddities all in common, like check this out: http://www.oldbug.com/66brazil.htm
shows a brazilian built '66, all stock and original, 12V in a small size generator (12V 25A), 36 horse engine, and mixed up body panels, with chartacteristics from different years. If you check it up zorba, it has some similarities with your '66, but if you check mine for example( http://www.planetavw.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=234) , or John's , German'66 beetles have for example , the larger windows, and push button engine lid lock, just to name a few differences. And , by the way, brazilian cars have different serial prefixes altogether, too.
CostaRica1966

Post by CostaRica1966 »

Mexican beetles are different than german, too, for example, a mexican built '68, is identical to a german built '64, 1200 sedan!. There are quite some mexican bugs here in our country!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Wow - looks like you guys have been doing some great research - I'm going to add some of these facts to the technical page - Thanks! Sorry I missed this note for the last week - I've been out west motorcycling(my other hobby) and just got back!