Horn parts and pieces?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

doodoodleylou

Horn parts and pieces?

Post by doodoodleylou »

To start off, I just got this car (I call him Ezekiel) Friday and he is my first car so I couldnt save my own life with my knowledge of cars at the moment.

I was trying to figure out why my horn doesnt work and after looking at various websites and my copy of "How to Keep you VW alive", I discovered, I dont even have a horn.

I checked under the drivers side fender to find a hanging cord connected to nothing, and an outline of rust with a bunch of old drill holes where a horn probably once sat.

So. I need to figure out, where to go from here? I am not sure what condition theses wires that are hanging down are in. They look old, but intact so I am not sure if I need to replace these or not but first things first, where to find a compatible horn for my Ezekiel. He has been converted to a 12 volt system. Any websites or helpful hints?

Also, if anyone knows where I can find a diagram of just the horn wiring, that just may help me a bunch load.

-Lou
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Check out the links on the main page of this website! Great resources.

As for the wires, it's almost always a good idea to start over with them when you can. Wiring is usually cheap and easy, so why not? Plus, you gotta wonder where the horn went and why. Might have just been taken out to use in another vehicle. Or it might have had a short, causing other problems. Doesn't sound like it, or they probably wouldn't have just left the wires hanging. good luck.
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
doodoodleylou

Post by doodoodleylou »

pira114 wrote:Check out the links on the main page of this website! Great resources.

As for the wires, it's almost always a good idea to start over with them when you can. Wiring is usually cheap and easy, so why not? Plus, you gotta wonder where the horn went and why. Might have just been taken out to use in another vehicle. Or it might have had a short, causing other problems. Doesn't sound like it, or they probably wouldn't have just left the wires hanging. good luck.
Okay thank you!
Rubin66

Post by Rubin66 »

The horn works on electrical current just like the other devices on the car. If you connect a test light between the two wires and press the horn button with the key on, the light should light. If it does all you need is a horn.
If it doesn't, you will need to troubleshoot the system to find where the defect is before installing a horn.
branston

Post by branston »

Go search on Wolfsburgwest's website they have just about the best horn diagnostic pages. I'm not gonna go find the link for you, just search