Rebuilding engine

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

kedge

Rebuilding engine

Post by kedge »

Been doing some research on rebuilding my original engine. I really want to keep the 1300 but can't seem to find replacement pistons and cylinders. Am I correct that the 1200 has the same bore (77mm I believe) but that the pistons have different wrist pins?
Does anyone sell over-size pistons for this engine? Or is the easy way out to convert over to 1600?
I found a source for stock rings but what I am reading is that just a plain ring job will at best last 10-15K miles......so what do all of you do that want to keep your original engine?
Thanks
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi. I have an old 1300 engine that I too am rebuilding (to be a spare). Like you I looked around for new 1300 pistons and pods. The bad news is that they no longer seem to be manufactured/sold. I was told that people now opt for 1500cc. Cheers
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

A ring job should get you more that 15k miles provided you're keeping up on maintenance. VW Heriatge says they have 1300 pistons and jugs in stock. Mahles on back order KS in stock. They're running 170 British pounds, whatever that translates to in your neck of the woods. Here in the states that's about $270 plus shipping at today's exchange rate.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/VW-Beetle ... lateID=vwh
branston

Post by branston »

Thre's a few NOS sets on thesamba.com, search the classifieds for 1300 or 77mm and you'll find them