Delete post, duplicate. 6V crank 12V flywheel

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Ryan

Delete post, duplicate. 6V crank 12V flywheel

Post by Ryan »

I have a 66 beetle with original 1300. The previous owner converted it over to 12V. Last week when my clutch went out I found I still had a 180mm flywheel. I bought all new 200mm clutch kit and flywheel. The big question is....can I machine the new flywheel at the opening to 55mm so it will fit over the early 6V crank? The early crank has a step up from around 53.5mm to around 55mm, just 5mm from the end.
The late crank doesn't step up till around 9mm from the end so the late flywheel will bottom out on the early crank before its seated on the bearing. I figure if I machine the opening to fit over the crank it won't hurt any thing, assuming my in play its set right. Am I correct in my way of thinking? If there any thing else I'm not thinking about? I am not an engine builder and I don't want to ruin my motor. Thank you for any reassurance and or assistance.