First time VW owner

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

UNcontinental

First time VW owner

Post by UNcontinental »

Hi,

I'm usually a Ford man, having owned 2 60's Lincoln Continental sedans (suicide doors) and currently own a 1961 and '62 Thunderbird coupes.

I'm trading one of the T-birds for a '66 bug. The bug is owned by a local shop, it was the owner's personal project that got side tracked, has been repainted, all chrome is present and looks to be in good shape. He says the car runs, not sure yet if he re-did the powertrain, will known next week. Only needs the interior door panels, back seat, carpeting, headliner, etc. But looks to have been sitting for a few years outdoors.

The problem this is my first time exposed to these cars! From reading thru the this website, the '66's were the only year with the 1300 engine correct? My question is, how hard is to find parts for that engine? Can I interchange parts from other years? How hard is it to work on it. I want to verify that the bug I'm getting has the correct motor, where can I find markings on the motor? Haven't really closely inspected the vehicle, will do so next week, but looks to only need interior to be presentable. What do I need to look for in the car?

The V.I.N. is 115593375, I'm not sure If I can dig up any info on just those numbers. Where is the builder's plate located?

I'm exited to get the bug, finally a chance a pace from 18ft. + sixties bombers.

I'm looking forward to being an active member of this forum, as other forums of these type have helped me tremendously with my other cars.

I will post pictures as soon I as get them....would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

-Tiago
BahamaBlue

Post by BahamaBlue »

Tiago,

I am a new bug owner as well, and will pass on the little I have learned so far. I have been amazed that I can find absolutley any part (mechancial or otherwise) that I wish for the car. I have had very good look with Jbugs (www.jbugs.com) and California Imports (www.cip1.com). Whatever you find that you need is no problem in obtaining. If you are looking for original equipment, I would recommend the Samba (www.thesamba.com) and look at the classifieds.

Good luck!
UNcontinental

Post by UNcontinental »

re: I am a new bug owner as well, and will pass on the little I have learned so far. I have been amazed that I can find absolutley any part (mechancial or otherwise) that I wish for the car. I have had very good look with Jbugs (www.jbugs.com) and California Imports (www.cip1.com). Whatever you find that you need is no problem in obtaining. If you are looking for original equipment, I would recommend the Samba (www.thesamba.com) and look at the classifieds.

Thanks for the reply. I guess this board won't be as useful as I thought..not much activity going on in here. Thanks for the links. Both look very helpful as I live in California. Parts look to be ALOT cheaper than the parts for my 60's Ford. I will never drive a new car, they have no style or character. And I've been looking for an older classic to save on gas mileage and money, and I sure have found one.

Turns out the bug I might get is actually a '65. Still exited about that.
-T
Orange County, CA
1961 and '62 Ford Thunderbird Hardtop Coupes
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

The 1300 engine will accept most big bore kits,dual port heads anything your heart desires.The 1300 was probably the first strongest case manufactured,and the first ones built up for high performance,or you can leave them stock,no problem for parts.hope this helps.I've been elusive for awhile! :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
UNcontinental

Post by UNcontinental »

My concern was that the 1300 being a one-year only engine parts would a little bit harder to find. But doesn't mattter any more b/c the bug I might be getting is actually a '65.

The car was redone, trans, motor, paint, body, chrome. Just needs an interior. But all this was done in 2004 and it has been sitting out in the open since then. The trunk lid, or hood, I guess, at the back of the car that covers the engine. Wasn't secured to the car and there's about 1 ft. openning exposing the top part of engine. Again since most likely 2004. That's my only concern. I haven't really inspected the car, will do so this weekend or early next week. My question is, what should I look for? In the motor? Body? Frame, etc.?

Thanks!
-T
Orange County, CA
1961 and '62 Ford Thunderbird Hardtop Coupes
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Bodywise in our area,heatchannel rust, floorpans, stress cracks on and around door posts,paint bubbling around windows,signs of water infiltration. All this is fixable and if you don't find some of this i'd surprised even in sunny Ca. Engine wise does it run? Is the engine free?can you spin it by hand.If a motor has any compression at all,spark and gas regardless if you use the fuel pump, a drip can ,spray bottle it will run,how well thats a different story.The engines are pretty straight forward and relatively easy to work on. I completely overhauled a 1300 with pistons jugs rings, redid heads rod and cam bearings mains,etc $400 And while I was at it anew clutch kit $120.00. Why worry Buy If the price isn't to rediculous. hope this helps :)
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

All the things Scruffy mentioned around the areas of the body are correct - and he should know he just restored one!!! The 1300 parts are all easy to find - and you can find most anything on EBay or you can buy some quality replacement parts from Wolfsburgwest.com BFYobsoleteparts.com just to name a couple - good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes!