Meet my Beetle, Elwood

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
VEX

Meet my Beetle, Elwood

Post by VEX »

Hello guys! I'm Joe from Memphis, I'm 17, and this is my '66, whom I've named Elwood.
He's my daily driver, and hasn't broken down on me once in the 4 years I've owned him.

I figured I'd finally start a build thread for my beetle.

First a bit of backstory:

Elwood is my second car, my first was a '73 Westfalia Bus, which I got when I was 11!
I actually got the Bus for free from a cool old lady in my neighborhood. She was the Bus's original owner, and after I went and asked her about possibly letting my Dad and I buy it she called me a week later and told me she'd give it to me for free, since she didn't have the time to take care of it.

3 years later, I decided to trade the bus for a Beetle. So put the Bus up for sale on TheSamba.com, and ended up trading for this Beetle.

When I got him, he was a corny car-show cruiser, fuzzy dice and all! :x

I almost passed on the trade offer, especially since before he sent me any pics, the PO said the car was painted Periwinkel blue!

However, when I saw the engine, I knew I had to have it:
That's an almost new 1776cc turnkey engine! It still had the break-in oil in it when I got it!
After several good tunings and a few repairs I'm proud to say it's the smoothest running, and fastest beetle in Memphis!

Now for future plans:

I'm hoping to seriously work though this little car. I'm planning on running it in historic rallies. And I'll definitely be returning it to its original L87 pearl white/pigalle red interior.

I'm planning on keeping the outside nearly stock, except for fog-lights and a 2" lowering, front and rear.

Underneath however, it's gonna be a little monster!
I'm planning on an IRS conversion, bilstein shocks, 5.5 wheels (painted the stock black/white), a 2110cc engine, and a 915 5-speed. Also I'll be doing full urethane bushing replacement, chromoly steering components, etc, etc, etc.

This is going to be a very fun little rally car when I'm done! :)
VEX

Post by VEX »

Surprisingly, the aircooled scene in Memphis is actually rather large.

Recently, during a MemphisEuro cruise in:
All three are 1966!!

And a friend of mine has a '67 project in the works. (also an L87 car!)

Also, I work part-time at a local Porsche Garage.
- This was right before a trip up to Nashville, I had to get a new D. front drum, and get the timing done.
Dustin

Nice

Post by Dustin »

Nice pics, and nice car.