Why this '66 Beetle?

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
BricksANDaBUG

Why this '66 Beetle?

Post by BricksANDaBUG »

I am a collector and "fiddler" with Bricklin automobiles... The Bricklin was built from '74 to Sept '75, they made 2854 cars and went bankrupt. They were made in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, for export to the larger U.S. market. The car was the first ever to be made with powered gullwing doors. The body is acrylic and is not painted. There are only approximately 1200 still surviving. I have a few of them.
I found one in the back of a used car lot and proceeded to try to acquire it.
Once the negotiations started; it was apparent that the '66 Beetle nearby had to be in the deal as well so I bought them both. I have had air-cooled VWs in the past, love them dearly and had no issues with grabbing the '66...
My plan is to fix it up, make it a safe summer driver and give it to my wife to bop around in, just for fun. Once the Bug is done; I'll take a look at the Bricklin: it needs a LOT of work but the little red '66 comes first!

... and for those not familiar with a Bricklin:

This is an unrestored original with 27,000 miles on it.

Mike P
Stouffville, Ontario, Canada[/img]
Ben

Post by Ben »

Your bug looks real nice. Looks to be in good shape. That Brickland is cool to.
You have your hands full with projects now.
Ben
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Your '66 has charm, and visually it couldn't be more opposite from a Bricklin!