I think I've just found the problem with my gears...!!!!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

ANavarro

I think I've just found the problem with my gears...!!!!

Post by ANavarro »

Yesterdeay, I was able to lift up the car at a friend's garage, and found no troubles with broken clutch cable. BUT I found something that took my attention. The final end of the clutch cable, the screwed one wich fits into a lever at the gearbox, wasn't tight. I tightened it as much as I could, but It still has about 1cm. (1/2 inch or so) play, and the tightening nut doesn't tight anymore, even tough there's such play still. I can't insert the first gear with the engine running, nor the reverse gear. I turn off the car, insert the first gear, and then turn on the engine. The car starts running OK, and I haven't agot any problem shifting second, third, etc.. But when I arrive to a red traffic light, stop signal or so, I must start all over again: turn off the car, etc...
Any suggestion here? I'm afraid I'll have to take my car to the mechanic, change the cluth cable and tightening nut, and take a look at my clutch plate.

Best regards.......
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

You my have a bad pressure plate depending how long she sat. A friend of mine had the same problem,drove it for aweek or so,no more go. Pulled the clutch,mice packed his pressure plate full of acorns.Now he has a spare :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife