wiring my 66 with new 12 volt parts

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

mt1966

wiring my 66 with new 12 volt parts

Post by mt1966 »

can anyone help with hooking wiring to flasher relay and headlight relay?numbers don't match up with 12 volt switches and relays
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Here's the wiring diagram. Hope this helps.

mt1966

Post by mt1966 »

Hey thanks Blue Baron!The 12 volt flasher only has 4 connections on it ,the old 6 volt has 6 connections and the numbers don't correspond?what to do?
Rene Descartes

Post by Rene Descartes »

hello there. Any updates here? I'm looking for help with my headlight and fortunately, I saw this thread. I've been at vw parts shop last week to ask for help but they told me that replacement is the best thing to do. I want to save money that is why I'm thinking of alternative way. Thanks
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Frankly, we can't rewire your car for you. That would be a time intensive, hands-on operation. You would have to figure out the function of each individual wire and what accessory it operates.

I'm a member of the John Muir school of wiring. I can get my own cars to work, but not much more. I can't explain how to switch from 6-prong to 4-prong flasher relays, especially given the limitations of the written word.
hercdriver

Post by hercdriver »

I'm not sure if I missed earlier in this thread, but did you switch to a 12v generator/alternator or are you just changing bulbs?

The reason I ask is .... My car is 6v and the previous owner installed 12v headlights. It nearly melted the plugs off the back of the bulbs.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Actually, the 12-volt "black box" from a '67 VW is a direct swap for the 6-volt relay in the '66. These boxes are hard to find, but do turn up at swap meets.

I've never run the 6-volt box on 12 volts, though I assume it would work, with the signals flashing double speed.