Flywheel questions

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

biotex

Flywheel questions

Post by biotex »

Yes I have a 1964 bug, yes this is a 66 forum, but I feel the expertise on here is the best place for my needs on this one. With that said, I'm having an issue with the starter engaging the flywheel.

When I got the bug it had a new starter installed already. My bug is set up for 12V, but am thinking it was originaly 6V correct?

If a 12V starter was installed on a 6V flywheel, I'm thinking that may be contributing to the issue. Am I correct that I need to count the teeth to determine which flywheel I have or is there an easier way? I searched the serial number off the engine and it is a 64 if that helps.

If I have a 6V flywheel, can I install a 6V starter and run 12V power to it?

If my flywheel is chewed up, where is a good place to source a new one?

Thanks in advance for your help!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

all you need to do is measure them. 6volt flywheels are 180mm, 12v flywheels are 200mm.

You can run 6v starters on 12v. They'll fail eventually, but it'll work.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

6 volt starters running on 12 volts will eat up the flywheel ring gear teeth before they burn themselves out.

I don't think a 12 volt starter will work on a 6-volt flywheel at all, so I'm thinking you have a 6-volt starter and flywheel that was ruined by running 12 volts. If you choose to fit a replacement 6-volt flywheel, it's just a matter of time until the problem repeats itself.

You never mentioned which engine you have. The 200 mm 12-volt flywheel will swap out on the 1300-1500-1600 engines, but not the old 40 hp 1200. The way to tell is if your old flywheel has an internal O-ring. If so, the 12-volt flywheel is a direct swap.

If it hasn't been done already, you will need to clearance the bellhousing for the larger flywheel and buy the proper starter busing or find a self-supporting starter.