Minnesotan '66 owner

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
9pin

Minnesotan '66 owner

Post by 9pin »

Hey all!

Just wanted to introduce myself as a fellow '66 enthusiast.

I've loved Beetles since I was very young. Loved the Herbie movies, of course. In adolescence, I really started to get into cars and became obsessed with owning a Beetle. I started asking about my uncles Sea Sand '66 around the time I was 16. Buried in his garage and not running for several years, he seemed happy to get rid of it… for free!

Of course, at that age, I had little money or know-how to restore this car, so it sat… I graduated high school, graduated from college… it sat… Got married, moved to the city, bought a house… it sat… I've made many excuses over the years as to why I've never reclaimed it. Everything from money to the means to haul it.

15 years later, I finally got the nerve to take on this challenge and rescue it from its resting place all these years. The problem is now to get it from my home town in northern Minnesota. It's been in a friends parents' shed on their farm, along with several other friends classic, inoperable vehicles. Throughout the process of finding a solution (I don't own a truck, nor have friends who do, I'm city folk!) I ended up stumbling onto craigslist and finding an all-original Pearl White '66 for sale that runs and was only a few hours away. I got a wild hair and rented myself a truck and a trailer and hauled it home.

I'll put up a different post on that…. Now, in a couple weeks, I've made arrangements to haul back my original beetle as well. Since the one I bought runs, the plan is to use the Sea Sand Bug for parts and sell off what I don't need.

I'm super happy there are lots more out there like me who is a '66 enthusiast! Looking forward to looking around more and learning lots. :D
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Congrats on your new beetle! Welcome to the forum!