How many quarts of oil does a VW Beetle Take?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

kepoes

How many quarts of oil does a VW Beetle Take?

Post by kepoes »

Hi Everyone?
My question is "How many quarts of oil does a VW Beetle Take" :?:
I'm going to change the oil and i want to know how many quarts i should buy, and what type. I read it would be recommended 20W-50. Bean that i live in California. That i should get that or SAE30. What do you guys think i need help..
Thank you all for the help.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

If your oil system is completely stock (IE no filter or additional coolers or sump), just under 3.

I run 20W50 Castrol in the desert in Phoenix so you should be fine with that.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I also buy oil additive with ZDDP. Modern oils are not formulated with the zinc that's important for pushrod engines.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Blue Baron wrote:I also buy oil additive with ZDDP. Modern oils are not formulated with the zinc that's important for pushrod engines.

I keep forgetting to do that.
kepoes

Post by kepoes »

what type of oil's have this ZDDP Oil Additive? is it a can by its self? or is it mix in the motor oil cans at the store already? I see it online but there single cans of 4oz..
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

fatalifeaten wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:I also buy oil additive with ZDDP. Modern oils are not formulated with the zinc that's important for pushrod engines.
I keep forgetting to do that.
I had a cam go flat once. Not fun.
kepoes wrote:what type of oil's have this ZDDP Oil Additive? is it a can by its self? or is it mix in the motor oil cans at the store already? I see it online but there single cans of 4oz..
Go to your regular auto parts store like Advance or Auto Zone and shop the oil additives, and look for one that lists ZDDP as an active ingredient. You may have to look on the back of the label to find it. One $7 bottle is good for two oil changes. If you can't find it, Google ZDDP and find it online.