No Brake Lights!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

puertodeluna

No Brake Lights!

Post by puertodeluna »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1966 Convertible. The car was last driven in 1999 and was kept outside under a tarp. I attempted to get the car running but had to give up after a week of trying. I then sent the car to my mechanic who kept the car for nearly two months. He got the car to run like new and my wife drove the car home today.

I followed my wife and noticed that the brake lights were not working. I called my mechanic who told me that he had checked the brake lights yesterday and they were fine. He told me to bring the car back to him but I'd rather not because I'm afraid he will keep it for another two months and who knows what else he might "FIND WRONG WITH THE CAR".

I was wondering if perhaps there is a series of things I could look for to diagnose the lack of brake lights (besides the obvious taking the brake light bulbs out and inspecting them).

Maybe look for a defective fuse? Are there fuses in this car? If so, where are they located and what do they look like?
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I had an issue with my brake lights. My car had been stored in a barn for 6 years and rodents had nested behind the insulation panels on both sides of the engine compartment. I didn't realize that there were connector blocks for both rear light harnesses. I have since replaced the entire wiring harness which I highly recommend. But at the time I pulled apart these blocks and cleaned up the contacts. You also need to make sure that the brake light switch located on the brake master cylinder is working properly. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Right side of the engine compartment. This is what you will find if you remove the fiberboard piece.
Right side of the engine compartment. This is what you will find if you remove the fiberboard piece.
DSC01804.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 31188 times
You can remove these without taking out the rear fiberboard. You need to take your time not to tear up the pieces. They flex.
You can remove these without taking out the rear fiberboard. You need to take your time not to tear up the pieces. They flex.
DSC01802.jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 31188 times
puertodeluna

Post by puertodeluna »

Thanks for the quick reply and especially thanks for those clear photos. I was not aware of any switch at the master cylinder. I will begin my search there and I will also certainly carefully inspect the brake light wiring harness. I appreciate the input.

David
russ c

Post by russ c »

take the two wires off switch and touch them.if lights go on switch is bad
Boris1966

fuses

Post by Boris1966 »

It might be as simple as a blown fuse!
the fuse box is to the right of the steering wheel under the dashboard. If there is a plastic cap over the fuse box, remove this and see if any of the fises are broken?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The brake lights are on a live circuit that gets completed at the brake light switch when the brakes are applied.

Use puertodeluna's method. With the ignition switch on, check that there's power to one of the wires on the brake light switch at the master cylinder. If you jump the wires and the brake lights come on, it's a bad switch. It also could be as simple as bad or corroded connections at the brake light switch.
russ c

Post by russ c »

thats basically what i said?
puertodeluna

Post by puertodeluna »

Thanks again to you all. I'll post results as soon as I have time to attempt a diagnosis.

David
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

russ c wrote:thats basically what i said?
Sorry. Do what Russ said.

Feel better now? :lol:
Cutterman

Post by Cutterman »

Perhaps it's shameful but I've added LED tail lights to my otherwise standard '66 Beetle. The alteration is easily undone so no deadly permanent alteration to a classic. However, while the tail lights and blinkers work fine, I don't have brake lights.

All lights worked when the incandecent bulbs were in installed except that there appeared to be a short somewhere as the brake and tail lights came on together (when the tail lights only should have been on).

I intend to follow the guidance on this thread by checking the switch (doubtful) and all connections from switch to bulb to find a short. If all else fails, I'll have to run a new wire but, believe me, that's the last option.

The LED lights are awesome, so far (well, except for this problem). They seem to make my bug more visible so I can worry less about someone bending my nice '66 rear bumper (it's a fake brazilian rather than true German, but you get the idea)!

Although I've posted this problem with a plan of action, I welcome your advice and guidance. I suspect that I'll spend most of today sitting on a milk crate wondering what else it could be....

Frank 8) 8)
Cutterman

Post by Cutterman »

The mystery deepens!

To resolve my problem, I reinstalled my original rear lights. I did the easy check of the brake light switch. When the two wires are connected, brake lights on. When reconnected to the switch and brake pedal depressed, no brake lights. So, off I went to J-Bugs (an advantage of living in Oceanside) and replaced the switch. Well, same situation.

In summary, everything works well except the brake lights. Further, the brake lights illuminate when the brake pedal switch is bypassed.

Could this be a problem with the master cylinder? Note that the brakes work fine. As noted previously, I spent much of the afternoon in deep thought. Any advice or guidance would be deeply appreciated.

Frank 8) 8)
Cutterman

Post by Cutterman »

OK, here's today's plan...

Since there's power when I bypass the newly installed switch, I wonder if I screwed the pooch when I installed it. I removed the brake switch from the master cylinder, took it to J-Bugs, then installed the new one. The system was open to air for almost an hour. Not good (in hindsight).

So, I'm going to pull the new switch and flush the brake fluid a bit. I'll see if I can squeeze some fluid into the switch before I re-install it just to be sure there is absolutely no air in the system (especially the cylinder/switch area).

I hope this is the problem. If you have any advice, guidance or encouragement, please post it.

~Frank 8) 8)
Cutterman

Post by Cutterman »

Success at last! Thank you Betelgeuse- God of Ancient Beetles. :)

As planned, I removed the new brake switch and flushed with brake fluid. I then installed it just a turn and had someone push the brake pedal gently. As the goo squeezed out, I tighten the switch carefully so no air was trapped between the switch and master cylinder (the dude at Napa called this procedure a long shot).

I checked each wire and each connection to ensure there was no inadvertent short. With all connections well made, all tail light components worked fine. I then carefully switched from the standard Vee Dub incandecent bulbs to the new LED tail light array. Again, no problem.

So the lesson is patience and tea are as useful as a 22 metric wrench (which is the size of the brake light switch, by the way). The LED lights are really noticable which, for me, means protection for my rear bumper!

Although no one was able to post any assistance, I searched for help elsewhere (there wasn't much anywhere). Perhaps this will answer someone future problem.

Best wishes
~Frank 8) 8)
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'm sorry I didn't check in to offer encouragement, but your course of action is the exact same as I would have done. Good job.