Grinding into 2nd gear

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bneal57

Grinding into 2nd gear

Post by bneal57 »

I am having an issue with my bug wanting to grind into 2nd gear. I have replaced the shifter coupling, and shift rod bushing. I tried to install a stock shifter which did not go well at all. I could find 3rd and 4th, but 1st and 2nd were impossible. I put the Scat shifter back in, and it shifts perfectly in 1st, 3rd, 4th and reverse, but I cannot get it to shift into 2nd without grinding. I have spent 2 days trying to adjust the shifter to no avail. I have adjusted the clutch, and changed the gear oil in the trans. I found quite a bit of metal on the drain plug magnet which is making me think that the 2nd gear synchro is gone. Anybody have any experience with this? I think I am looking at having to replace the trans, but I want to eliminate all other possibilities before spending the money on a new trans.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've pretty much nailed it. Time for a trans rebuild or swap. Metal shavings are never a good sign.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Agreed. I'd say it's the 2nd gear synchro on the way out.

When downshifting to 2nd from 3rd, try putting light pressure on 1st before pulling it into second. If it doesn't grind you have your answer. (You are in effect using 1st gear synchro for 2nd.)