Fuel Filter Full or Empty?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

kepoes

Fuel Filter Full or Empty?

Post by kepoes »

Here's a question that's been bugging me. Maybe someone can help me. Should my see thru fuel filter be full, half full, or near empty when the engine is idling/running?
Mine seems to have a mind of it's own. But most of the time is empty.

Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Two answers:

1. If you can see the filter with the engine running, you have it in the wrong place. The VW factory never installed a gas filter in the engine compartment. I put mine under the rear of the car above the transmission to avoid toasted bug syndrome.

2. As long as the car runs, who cares? (See 2012 changes)

2012 changes: The filter should be "empty" with the engine running. (Actually there's gas running very quickly through it.)
kepoes

sorry for late reply.

Post by kepoes »

I can see it. So will change were the Filter sit's now. its next to the coil.
Bad place , i know. well it runs its a bit dirty but i will change it. thanks for the reply.
RikiTiki

Post by RikiTiki »

funny every bug Ive owned (4 to date) including my current 66 Baja
and they has always had it next to the coil or running along the carb manifold.
always thought it was a wierd place for it.
but this glass is always half full for me
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Most cars have had one installed there, but never from the factory!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Blue Baron wrote:Most cars have had one installed there, but never from the factory!
This.

Belonged to a car club for several years, at one point we had 60 cars in 2 chapters here in AZ. Had a big show up here in Phx and our Tucson family came up to hang with us. They brought 10 cars, 2 of them burned up on the side of the road because the fuel filters in the engine bay failed and caused a fire. Fortunately in both cases, the damage was contained to the engine and engine bay. About a year later, another member of the club lost the engine in his daily driven thing to a fuel filter caused fire.

We made it a mandate at that point that 1). Filters were moved out of the engine bay and 2). Everyone carried a fire extinguisher. We learned the hard way as a club, but since then none of those people have burned down a dub.
biotex

Post by biotex »

When you say the filter failed, you must be talking about the plastic cracked or melted?

Seems to me a metal filter would work out just fine. Sure makes it easier to change them out frequently.

Mine is next to the coil, plastic, and going to get moved. Good advice!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Anything metal can promote vapor lock unless it's up front under the tank.
biotex

Post by biotex »

Blue Baron wrote:Anything metal can promote vapor lock unless it's up front under the tank.
Ahhh, yes, the old vapor locking... I forget that that was always a problem before they started using a return line back into the tank to keep fuel moving.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

This explains why the factory progressively went to more rubber/fabric hose instead of metal lines to the fuel pump and carb. Rubber hose doesn't conduct heat like steel.