My Javagreen 66.

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
rcs_80

My Javagreen 66.

Post by rcs_80 »

I have been looking for a 67 or older Beetle for years and finally found one that I liked for the price. I purchased my first VW a couple of months ago. Its currently not running. I'm going to get the engine rebuilt once I have the funds. I can't wait for the day to get it on the road.

DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

SCORE!!!!! She is a beaut! You are so lucky to find that ride.. Nice job!! Best of luck on that motor!
*[___]
(o\ ! /o) yes! I was bored....
66balut

Post by 66balut »

I'm impressed !its really clean inside & out ,I bet you're motivated to get that motor running & drive it since that's all you need to take care of.I see you got all the knobs complete even the emergency knob which I'm missing,keep us updated
rcs_80

Post by rcs_80 »

Thanks for the feedback.

There is some stuff I need/want to do to it soon on top of rebuilding the engine.
-I just purchased an original door handle for the drivers side to match the correct date to the car (round button kind). So now im going to send all my locks to get them rekeyed to match.

-I removed the passenger seat and noticed the section of carpet under the seat was saturated with battery acid. Luckily the battery tray and floor pan still look solid. Its just taking some cleaning and some pan repainting. Anybody where I can find a small section of Charcoal color carpet for that area? Everywhere I look only sells it as a complete kit.

-I'm also looking to get the correct fender for the passenger side. I didn't realize it til I brought the car home that they didn't match. :?

-Also I'm thinking about painting the rims to the original color. Does anybody know what shade white and black that was used? Was it Pearl white and gloss black?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Think about getting an Optima battery next time you need one and you'll never have to worry about battery acid again.

Two-toned rims will look great. Coker sells narrow whitewall radials that really look nice with that wheel combination. It makes the car look just like it rolled out of a VW ad in 1966.
rcs_80

Post by rcs_80 »

Blue Baron wrote:Think about getting an Optima battery next time you need one and you'll never have to worry about battery acid again.

Two-toned rims will look great. Coker sells narrow whitewall radials that really look nice with that wheel combination. It makes the car look just like it rolled out of a VW ad in 1966.
Thanks for the great advice. I will hopefully be getting an Optima battery.
I agree, I really like the look of the these tires here. I think that would look clean with the two tone rims.
rcs_80

Post by rcs_80 »

I just cleaned out all the rust off of my pan where needed, near the battery with a wire wheel. Should I use Por15, Masterseries or just paint it black?

Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

rcs_80 wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:Think about getting an Optima battery next time you need one and you'll never have to worry about battery acid again.

Thanks for the great advice. I will hopefully be getting an Optima battery.
I agree, I really like the look of the these tires here. I think that would look clean with the two tone rims.
If you want an idea how they'll look, check out the thread on my car.

http://1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=689

Those are the same tires.