66 bug in escondido ca

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
66balut

66 bug in escondido ca

Post by 66balut »

Hi!my very 1st car was a 78 bug,my dad bought this brand new from the dealership ,wow!,13 yrs later since my dad wasn't around anymore for a while, my mom decide to hand me the keys of our very 1st family car when I turned 16 & oh here comes trouble!being young & didn't really give much care to know maintaning the bug,I just drove & drove & drove!my uncle asked me if ived ever done an oil change,I said "huh?"I lived in a diff country back then so most of the time it was 100 deg w/ 100% humidity drove the car cross country going through mountains,dirt roads,you name it my bugs been there w/ no issues at all!its just kinda sad when I start reading forums these days that people who owns a bug for the very 1st time has this perception that the bug was never made to be designed as a daily driver when it first came out,owners were to sensitive about the engine noise,being aircooled(oh my god !we shouldn't drive the bug on summertimes coz its goin to overheat!)the motor will only never reach 100k miles & you have to rebuild it again!I still have vivid memories when my dad just brought the bug home from the dealer,it drove like of course a brand new car!less noise,no constantly adjusting the valve issues,.......understand too that the most perfect motor is the one that came from the FACTORY!...I know there's lot of top 1 vw mechanics who can rebuild & fine tune the aircooled motor but can never duplicate the out of the box german motor!.......imagine the really high tech designed motors of today,eventually will get old too & might need rebuilding,you think that the car is goin to be like factory spec car?I doubt it!...wait!I think I was suppose to introduce my 66 bug,hahaha!my story went to long!so I wanted to get back in the bug world so I asked my wife if we could get one,my other car which was a weekend driver was samshed in & totaled so this was an oppurtunity to buy a bug!I found a 64 which I almost bought who is just near where I live but I told the guy that there's this 66 bug that was 150 mils away that I need to check & told him if I don't get the 66 then ill get his 64..........so you know it was happily ever after!not that I was happy to buy it but to find out the uniquness of the 66 since I saw this website so I was more happy!thanks!I had it for 4 months now & been wrenching a lot getting to appreciate more comparing to when I was 16 who did not know what kind of treasure I had!
Attachments
66 bug
66 bug
ColorTouch.jpg (137.04 KiB) Viewed 16063 times
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

Sic car brother!
*[___]
(o\ ! /o) yes! I was bored....
66balut

Post by 66balut »

It ain't perfect but thanks DC!
rcs_80

Post by rcs_80 »

Very nice ride. Do you have anymore pics to share?
66balut

Post by 66balut »

Thanks rcs.will do post more pics........bug is still a work in progress!
rcs_80

Post by rcs_80 »

66balut wrote:Thanks rcs.will do post more pics........bug is still a work in progress!
Thanks. What all are you doing to yours?
66balut

Post by 66balut »

RCS ,Gotta tackle 0n some major seals replacements cause of oil leaks & work on the drum brakes ,been reading a lot of Chiltons,How to Keep Your VW Alive book(really informative)......did a lot since I purchased the bug 4 mos ago,the PO never finished changing the 6v electronics after he did the 12v conversion,wish I still have the orig 1300 but he swaped a 1600 in it,so did the relays,learned to do the timing for the first time & the valve adjustments
DC-Dubs

Post by DC-Dubs »

It's pretty rewarding to be able to work on your own bug. I started when I was 13 on my first 62. I will never forget that and I still enjoy doing it today as I did back then! Best of luck and keep us posted...
*[___]
(o\ ! /o) yes! I was bored....
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

She's a real beauty! Welcome to the Forum!