Greetings from the new guy

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Raccoon11

Greetings from the new guy

Post by Raccoon11 »

Earlier this week I successfully bid on a 1966 sedan. It has 60,800 actual miles, but has been in storage for many years and needs a lot of attention. Very sound body, engine probably needs to be re-built, interior needs to be re-done, sunroof doesn't quite close all the way, and the lower hinge on the right side door is bound up somehow. I've been searching internet sources for parts, but the hinges seem to be difficult to find, and I'm not sure about the difference in quality between Brazilian and German sources, when noted.

Anyway, I look forward to whatever advice and counsel might be available from this group. By the way, I live outside of Minneapolis most of the time, but spend a week or so a month in South Bend, Indiana.

Russell
RsK
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Russell! Welcome and congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you will get her running in no time. One of our Members (Scruffy - and he's from Minnesota also!)) just finished a major restore on his 66 and I'm sure he would be more than happy to give you some tips as you run into problems.

The German parts are always the best if you can get them. It's hard to know sometimes when you order what you will get. I do most of my parts shopping either on ebay (for new - old stock or spare original parts) or Wolfsburg West (wolfsburgwest.com). I have also had very good luck at BFYobsoleteparts.com (Very helpful folks there). If you call either of those places they can tell you your options on the hinges (swap meets are always a good place to pick up odds and ends too).

Once again Welcome! and bring on the pictures!!!
chris

Post by chris »

whats up russell?? congrats on getting a 66! this is a cool site here. everyone is very nice and always willing to offer help.
chris
Raccoon11

Greetings

Post by Raccoon11 »

Thank you Chris. I'm looking forward to the association and the insights from this group. And this '66 is the first vehicle that I've ever tried to restore, or ever really wanted to. I'll be trying to do as much of the work as possible, since I have more time than money, so let me know if you run across any bargains out there :wink:
RsK
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Welcome to the forum Russ,Do you drink? Not a requirement but sometimes it helps :lol: :lol: Lower door hinge if it is just tight ,try PB Blaster on it. work the door back and forth this stuff is great.In fact spray all, I mean all hinges. you'll find plenty of help here if you want it or not :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
Raccoon11

Drinking habits

Post by Raccoon11 »

I've been known to take a sip, but I find that when I drink too much when engaging in potentially stressful activities it interferes with my ability to curse effectively. There's nothing more embarassing than trying to express a profound profanity and having it come out as a weak combination of unintelligible ranting and ravings. This is particularly true when the object of my frustration is an inanimate object for which one must be very clear and unambiguous when cursing at it, lest it miss the point. This lack of acknowledgement on its part typically leads to some form of physical retaliation on my part, with predicable results for unintended damage and sore knuckles. So for me, it's best that I limit my consumption to those occasions when the worst scenario is trying to figure out how I missed the scenery while making a trip from the stool to the floor.

The hinge is more than tight; I think it's been torqued in some way to the point where it is fighting the upper hinge. It appears to have been banged on with a hammer, which probably represents either the cause of the problem or an attempt to solve it. Anyway, I want to replace it, so if you have a source, please let me know. Where are you, by the way?

RsK
RsK
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:? Hey Russ come on up I've got a couple doors to experiment on. See if the hinge is spot welded to the door post or flat with the door skin I supose I could get off my but,put my beer down and go look! I'll get back to you!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Okay we have good news The hinges are not welded to the door they are riveted on with like 1/4" dia rivetby3/8 to1/2" long.4 in the top hinge 2 in the bottom. Remove the doors door panels,remove the window mech& glass.center punch rivets and drill out 1/4" bit or a bit larger.To replace new hinge I would tap them to receive new countersunk bolts. I seriously don't know how they squshed them rivets probably before they skun the door.hopefully this helps. :) Now where did I put my BEER!
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Welcome Russ !!!

The 66' is the best. But, they're all great. You'll love the 66', I own a Euro Model which now live in Canada with me. Check it in the gallery (Vancouver 66).

Brazil part are just not as good as German. I have a pair of Brazil value cover and they less the impressive. Leaky buggers. I'm on the hunt for some German ones.
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Sorry, Barrett-Jackson is on and my typing skills are reflecting that.

One more thing, I have had great luck with Wolfsberg West - As John mentioned as well.

Canadian dollar is going up and buying from the U.S. - doesn't hurt as much, but the duty fees do !!

Take 66' fans !!!