drum brakes info needed

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

66balut

drum brakes info needed

Post by 66balut »

Hi fellows,anyone here who did their brake shoe replacement & adjustment & specially if you guys have the best methods of BLEEDING the brakes,I'm about to work on my brakes & any tips would be greatly appreciated!
usbubba

Motive Brake Bleeder is best

Post by usbubba »

Invest in a Motive pressure brake bleeder. One man operation, fast easy, works. Or, find a friend and spend hours trying to get all the air out of your lines. Stay away from cheap Harbor Freight bleeder and the ones with the hand pressure pump.. they suck. I've tried them all and the Motive bleeder is the best.
66balut

Post by 66balut »

So did it take you literally a hard time (hours) doing the two man pump pump hold method?so I should invest in that bleeder that your recommending?thanks!
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

A friend of mine showed me this one. Works every time.

1. replace shoes. replace drums. Get everything back together, and happy.
2. Adjust the shoes all the way out to where they're stopping the drums from moving.
3. Bust loose passenger rear, bleed.
4. Driver Rear next.
5. Passenger Front
6. Driver Front.
7. Adjust the shoes back to where they should be.

As long as you don't have any pinhole leaks anywhere in the system and your soft lines are good, this will work great. Remember to keep adding fluid to the reservoir as you go along.