Wipers or electrical issue?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

LindaBlue66

Wipers or electrical issue?

Post by LindaBlue66 »

Hi, I used to work on my red bug when I was younger. I had John's book with me and we did tune ups, etc. We used it to drop a bus engine in the late '70s. Now, I can't work on the blue bug, but I do have John's book since 2001.

We moved to Oregon a few years ago. The passenger wiper fell off the bug on the highway up here. The drivers side was worthless when we arrived and it was pouring rain. Thought I was going to die.

I had a mechanic upgrade the headlights to halogen a few years back. Don't ask me how. Since then, the horn has not worked. I had a separate horn put in, but it won't work now.

There is one good mechanic and one okay mechanic up here.

Problem 1: the wipers will not work when the lights are on.
Part 2: Oregon law requires the lights are on in the rain. It rains from Sept to June here.

Question 1: The vacuum advance wipers are very slow, yes. Any way to speed them up?
Question 2: Do I upgrade to 12 volt to have lights and wipers? Or, do I take the halogen lights out so that the wipers will work with lights on? I rarely am out at night, so I do not really need them now.

Any suggestions? I almost bought a newer bug just to have wipers that worked, but I hate the thought of not being '66.
Thank you for your help.
66balut

Post by 66balut »

I'm almost guessing that you still have the 6v relay hooked up with your wipers & lights,for some reason the 12 v electronics would still run through the 6v relay but eventually at the end that relay is going to start acting up like your issue,make sure you got the 12v relay there.................do you still have a 6v wiper motor in there?
LindaBlue66

Still 6v

Post by LindaBlue66 »

Yes, my bug is still 6v. I have no idea how it was done. Thought they were 6v headlights.
Still have the paper work, so I can read it. But I can take your idea to my new mechanic and ask. He put in a new horn on the sidde, but it does not work now....
Thanks!
66balut

Post by 66balut »

I assumed that your bug was a 12v but like what you said it is still a 6v,your mechanic probably did not now & installed a 12v headlight & 12v horn ....that puts in a lot of load to the 6v relay....if every component was 6v you shouldn't have any issues......UNLESS you have a malfunctioning relay,not completely ,but on the way of being gone!