hello

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
chris

hello

Post by chris »

hi my name is chris! i live in tucson, az. i have always been into aircooled vws. i have been driving a 74 super beetle for my daily driver for about three years and i bought my 66 right after the chirco bugtoberfest show last year, -05. right now its just a roller. it used to be the 96.1 klpx radio bug for anyone here who is familar to tucson. i have a long way to go but i hope soon to have the body ready for paint. i am happy to be here and i am looking foward to hang out here.
chris
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Chris and Welcome!!! Thanks for joining and congratulations on your '66 beetle! It's great to have you as a member of the board and I'm looking forward to hearing about your restoration. I am guessing that given the climate in Arizona you must have a pretty solid beetle. Don't forget to register in the photo gallery - we are all going to want to see some pictures!! Also, you may want to check out the main website, a link is at the top of each forum page, just in case you are loooking for a wiring chart or color chart etc... Also if you think I need to add anything let me know! Once again Chris Welcome!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

Hello Chris! Welcome - great to have another member here on the board! Ditto on the pictures - really want to see some shots of your bug! Looking forward to hearing more about her! Phil
Phil
San Antonio
Jan

Post by Jan »

Welcome to the 1966 Beetle Forum!! You will get personal attention here! John is great at the "1966 beetle" stuff!
Jan
chris

Post by chris »

thanks for the warm welcome :D i will definitely put some pics up.. my friend will probably do it for me this weekend. it really isn't much too look at right now though. the pan is solid and so are the heater channels as well with the main body. but i have to work the front apron and replace the rear apron, i am going to replace all four finders and maybe the trunk. the last registered owner had used it for a radio show car, so the roof was cut for an antenna and so was the front trunk. i would really like to keep the front trunk because it fits the car so well, but i think it would take some crafty metal work. as for the roof i am going to do a ragtop kit from streetbeat customs in phoenix. it also has oringal popouts which are awesome. so thats where i am at now, i am hoping to have the body banged out for paint in the next 3 to 4 months :?: the last registered owner actually sold the car back in like 98, but the person he sold to never titled or registered the car and then the car was sold around like 3 more times before i got it. so it took me a couple of months to get a title for it. so through getting the title i met that last registered owner and found out that it was a complete car with all the crome, lights, interior pieces, 1300cc engine, and etc. but it as been stripped after being passed around the past 8 years.
chris
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Congrats Chris - another 66' !!! As Tina Turner would say, "simply the best".

Bryan
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Wow - the bug sure has been around in the last 8 years! So how would you go about replacing the trunk? Would you be removing the entire front of the car from the windshield forward or is it the tire well that you would be replacing. I know someone who has done the entire front before and he did say that sometimes it's easier to just replace the entire front vs. spending hours and hours on metal working it. Sounds like the really important parts of the car (Heater channels and pans) are very solid which is great!

I can't wait to see the pics!
chris

Post by chris »

oh i am sorry, i ment the trunk lid. the trunk itself seems to be in pretty good shape. the front apron has some dents but i think i can salvage it.
chris
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Gotcha! That will be easier :lol: , and you should be able to find some decent 66 hoods for sale to replace the one you have!
fourcylinder

Post by fourcylinder »

I agree! There are quite a few out there you just need to make sure you see both sides of the hood before you buy, you want to make sure you're not getting something that looks good on the outside but has been damaged and hammered out. My recommendation is to make sure you buy an original 66 hood the aftermarket ones will probably not fit as nice. Good luck with the project Chris.

Bryan is right - 66 was the best!
Phil
San Antonio
chris

Post by chris »

what do you think about aftermarket fenders? i found a set of 4 whith new hardware from clip 1 for around $260.00 plus shipping.
chris
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I have heard that the aftermarket fenders fit better than the hoods and engine lids. A few other places you may want to check are Wolfsburgwest.com (My favorite) and BFYobsoleteparts. That would give you an idea if you are in the right ball park. Good luck with your shopping and let us how you make out Chris!