Intermitent starting

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scruffy

Intermitent starting

Post by scruffy »

Scuse the spelling!My 66 developed a pecular starting problem. I leave for work around 5:30 am with my headlights on and lately if your familar with the midwest it's been raining about every day,so I've run my wipers nonstop,also you need music.:lol: Well I stopped for GAS and she wouldn't start, my indicator lights are bright but no noise at solonoid or starter. With a little help from the locals I got a little push and off I went.Made it home put the charger on the battery, The battery i've been ? cuz it only takes 50% charge,so I bought a new one charged it up and installed it this morning.I turned the lights radio and wipers on and then started it. It started :lol: shut it off waited a minute or two hit the key and nothing.I think I traced it down to the black wire to the fuse block from the ignition switch :? Any thoughts? I hate gremlins in my electrical system.[6 volt]
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Hey Scruffy! I had the same thing happen to me in my 73 (12v)! I too did the same process of elimination as you. You did mention that that there was no noise comming from the starter but did you notice if your headlights dimmed at all when you would try to start it?...its possible that the contacts in the starter selonoid(sp) are not making connection. This was the direction that I was heading when I found that the switched hot wire connector at the starter was open. It was still connected but it was not making the connection. Talk about grimlins!#%&^%@ :x I noticed it when I crawled under the car to give the starter a lil talkin to with a BFH when I bumped the wire and it just fell off!! So before I came unglued (sorry, I dont drink) I just cleaned the connector and tab with a lil emery paper, took my trusty lil plyers and gave the connector a lil tune up, then thought hmmmm? I wonder if thats all it was? Well thats all I did and thats been over 2 years now :D I Know that a couple of auto electric books that I have, all say the same thing...Wires generally dont go bad, connectors do! Especially battery terminals :shock: Hope this might help.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Scruffy!

I had the exact same thing happen last fall with the Sea Sand Beetle. I replaced the battery thinking that was the issue (I was in a hurry to get to a VW show in Indiana). Then when I got back I ran into the same issue again. So I put a charger on the battery but it showed fully charged. I ended up taking the terminal connecters apart and the positive side had a bunch of white powder corrosion inside. I cut the cable back about three inches to where it was clean and installed new clamps. It started right up and I never had another problem with it.

Hope you find you problem soon - electrical issues are such a pain! Someday we should talk about my three week issue on charging on my blue bug (also 6 volt), my mechanic went through two generators and three voltage regulators before he got the problem solved!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hey Scruffy - so what did you find on this one? ALways curious about the electrical problems! :shock:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hey Scruffy - so what did you find on this one? ALways curious about the electrical problems! :shock:
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:lol: I haven't had a whole lot of time to to look at it this past week[work]but she hasn't missed a beat since I pulled the black wire to the fuse block to the ignition switch off and cleaned her up a bit.not sure if thats my problem.I notice if I have my headlights on and wipers with the radio on and if i shut wipers or headlights off i'll pick up more power or volume to the radio so thinking maybe more brushes or loose belt on gen.Or this could be normal :?: My thinking is a discharged battery in a VW to the point of not starting would also cause the engine to sputter or miss due to lack of juice to the coil as if a faulty regulator acts in a 57 chev. where at night you have to shut the lights off to keep you going.I remember a couple trips home like that only turning the lights on when you meet a car or try and find the edge of the road :oops: VW needs a battery,she will not run on gen power only.Does anybody know where i'm going at with this here or have i got CRS[can't remember sh#$@^%$!t] :?:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Glad to hear it seems to be fixed. The part about turning off the lights and wipers and having more radio volume is typical and normal for 6 volt system. The same thing works on the turn signals; they flash faster without the headlights on and the headlights get brighter the faster you go - all symptoms of a six volt system but I wouldn't have it any other way!

I can't talk to the part about the bug running on low juice in the battery but I think it will as long as there is adequated charging taking place (there isn't much coming from the generator a low speeds) so my guess is that at night with the lights on etc..you might have some problems.

I don't think you have CRS! :lol:
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:lol: The better half contributes it to pms
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

hmmmmm....Predictable Man Syndrome?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:lol: Is that the same as putting up with mans stuff?
Jan

Post by Jan »

It sounds like the 6 volts system is still just as much trouble as its always been! You guys are bringing back memories when you talk of this stuff... I feel like I am riding in the VW Bus all over again!
Jan
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I believe I narrowed it down to a grumpy genny,rainy weather and my brushes are hanging a little,noticed that when my red light decided to finally come on with a vengence,took out my trusty screw driver and gave my brushes a little bump,light went out and off we went.You gotta LOVE it! :lol:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Almost everything on the bug can be fixed with a screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, and a tap! :lol:

Glad you found your problem!