Cost of a 66 VW headliner installation?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Roadbug

Cost of a 66 VW headliner installation?

Post by Roadbug »

I had a local upholstery shop in NC tell me $450 to install my headliner (I supply it) plus $ to have the windows put back in. #@^&%^*! It's a small town with only one upholstery shop, so I'll have to head to the big city I guess.
I assume he didn't want to do it. What should I pay for this? At his price my original is starting to look better each time I drive it.
bkrome

Post by bkrome »

even at 100 bucks a pop you could bugger up the seals and headliner 2-3x before it'd be worth not doing it yourself....

how long are they estimating it will take to do?

that might be the kicker...

ideally it should only cost 200 bucks to do it... but then it really depends on how busy they are...
branston

Re: Cost of a 66 VW headliner installation?

Post by branston »

Roadbug wrote:I had a local upholstery shop in NC tell me $450 to install my headliner (I supply it) plus $ to have the windows put back in. #@^&%^*! It's a small town with only one upholstery shop, so I'll have to head to the big city I guess.
I assume he didn't want to do it. What should I pay for this? At his price my original is starting to look better each time I drive it.
Take a look here for costs:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1184560
I appreciate the guy is in Arizona but it will serve as a guide. I did my own a year ago and it came out real nice took my time and spread it out over a week.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Order the "bug me" video about doing headliners and do it yourself. Even 200 bucks for a headliner install is steep, especially if windows are extra.
darzoom

Headliner Install

Post by darzoom »

I have done it a few times and find it quite easy. You will have to remove the rear and quarter windows. But they go back in easily. Just some 1/4" rope and dish soap do wonders on the install. As far as the headliner, you will need some binder clips or clothes pins to keep it in the right places around the read door panels. Matter of fact, I am re-doing my 66 now and pulled it apart a week or so ago and found some clothes pins I left in there when I did the headliner last time. This is something you can do.
Roadbug

Headliner

Post by Roadbug »

Thanks guys!
I guess I'll have to do it myself. Good chance to install new rubber
seals and put my aluminum trim back in the rear window rubber.
Good thread and it's appreciated.
NCdad

Post by NCdad »

fatalifeaten wrote:Order the "bug me" video about doing headliners and do it yourself. Even 200 bucks for a headliner install is steep, especially if windows are extra.
Did BugMe do a video on Headliners, I havent seen that one...
I have the Jbugs Interior video... a little dated but after watching it a couple times, I did it myself.