Could dizzy be 180 degrees off?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scrappy06

Could dizzy be 180 degrees off?

Post by scrappy06 »

Engine has new plugs, wires, coil, points, cap, is getting gas to carb, but just turns over no spark, has power to the coil, could my dizzy be 180 degrees off? if so how do I fix it. The motor is a 1966 1300cc. Thanks.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

are you getting spark to the cap from the coil?
scrappy06

Post by scrappy06 »

Just tested, am getting spark from black pos wire that goes to coil, but no spark from coil wire to dist, tried 2 different coils both are good, timming has been re set again, still just turns over but wont fire, is getting fuel, could it be condenser? or dizzy out of wack? any adivise would be very helpful. Thanks.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

See if anything in this thread helps:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369490
scrappy06

Post by scrappy06 »

Thanks fatalifeaten, will check the condenser wire and other advise in the thread you sent, hope to get the 66 running soon only about 2 1/2 months of decent weather left here in Michigan. Will let you know if anything in the thread was the problem. Thanks again.
scrappy06

Post by scrappy06 »

Just got around to replacing condenser, recaped points, rotor is new, cap is new, wires are new, plugs are new, but still not getting spark from coil, can hear choke click, but no power going from coil to dizzy? this is the 3rd coil and they all work on other cars, they are 6 volt coils, is a 66 1300 6 volt system, should i be useing 12 volt coil? am totaly lost here, everything else on car is working fine, engine just turns over, even useing jumper wire direct from battery to coil and still no spark from coil. Any ideas would be great I am lost at this point.
DPIGGUY

Post by DPIGGUY »

I'm new to the forum so don't laugh too hard but, just a guess, have you confirmed that the distributor is turning when the engine cranks over? I have had similar issues with non-VW motors where the shaft or gearing were broken or not engaging.
scrappy06

Post by scrappy06 »

Yes the distributor is turning when the engine cranks over, just not getting spark from coil to distributor? not even with a jumper wire direct from the battery to coil.
DPIGGUY

Post by DPIGGUY »

run a conductivity test on the coil wire to ensure it is broken or shorted. then recheck all the grounds for coil, mounting, dist, etc. and that no wires are pinched and grounded. only reason for no spark given the facts you stated has got to be in a faulty ground wire or in the curcuit.
DPIGGUY

Post by DPIGGUY »

played around with my 6 volt system diagrams and there is no clear wire issue based on your prior posts. should have one wire from fuse block to the coil with another wire on same post that goes to the automatic choke and electro-magnetic pilot jet. Other side of the coil goes to the side of the dizzy and the coil wire itself from the top of the coil to the top of the dizzy. that's seems to be it. with a jumper from coil to battery, and assuming the coil is itself good, check to see if the choke and pilot jet wires are not broken somehow. its got to be in a ground somewhere!